The Top 7 Magnesium Supplements Reviewed
Magnesium plays several key roles in your body, and yet many people are deficient in this necessary nutrient. Over 80 percent of adults are not getting enough of this vital mineral! If your diet isn’t what it should be, then you need to consider supplementing magnesium.
What makes this mineral so important? It regulates blood pressure for one and supports the proper function of nerves, muscles, and tissue. Magnesium is even necessary for quality sleep and to get more of the neurotransmitter GABA for a calmer, more relaxed life too. The list goes on with this vital nutrient, which we will get into below.
Now that you know why you need magnesium let’s discuss the seven best options. After, gets some answers to your magnesium questions and find out about the full list of benefits and side effects. We found the best sources of the mineral, all without unnecessary ingredients you don’t need in your supplements. Finally, we found supplements to fit in everyone’s price range so you can get healthy even on a budget.
The Best Magnesium Supplements
The best source of magnesium comes from an all-natural source like with the Magnesium by Smarter Nutrition. With this brand, you can improve your energy levels, your brain, heart, and so much more. The pills even have a honeycomb structure, which is unique, and it’s a molecular structure designed to help get healthy with vital nutrients.
Next, the supplement comes with three active ingredients, including 65 percent of your daily magnesium sourced from seawater. Avocado and AstrGin – panax notoginseng, and astragalus membranaceous – increase bioavailability. A few inactive ingredients stabilize the pills, including vegetarian soft-gel with tapioca, organic glycerin, caramel, and water. It also includes non-GMO sunflower lecithin and beeswax.
You won’t find any allergens or undesirable ingredients in this supplement. Simply take three gel-caps with a meal and water. A single bottle offers a one month supply. The pills are made here in the USA in a GMP and FDA facility. Moreover, they get third-party testing for purity, all without GMOs.
- MAGNESIUM BENEFITS: Magnesium functions in more than 300 metabolic reactions in the body, and is essential for the formation and support of bones and teeth, converting food into cellular energy, and proper nerve and muscle functioning.*
- HEALTHY ENERGY LEVELS: Magnesium is also vital to cellular energy production in the body and enhances physical performance, exercise recovery, and cramp defense so you can get more out of everyday life and exercise.*
- PROMOTES A HEALTHY HEART & BRAIN: Magnesium helps balance blood sugar levels and promotes adequate circulation to maintain a healthy brain and heart functions for alertness and cognitive mental and body functions.*
- HONEYCOMB STRUCTURE: The molecular structure of Smarter Magnesium is a honeycomb structure - the right form and unique to any of the other forms of magnesium available on the market.*
- NATURALLY SOURCED INGREDIENTS: Smarter Magnesium combines a salt water magnesium, with Avocado Oil and AstraGin for boosted bioavailability to give your body the nutrients it needs.*
Do you hate taking pills? Don’t worry! You can take your magnesium in a raspberry lemon drink instead with the Natural Vitality Calm Magnesium Supplement Powder. Its the anti-stress drink mix with a bit of fizz for an effervescent drink ready to make your day healthier. If you don’t like raspberry lemon, you can pick from several other fruit flavors for a daily pick-me-up.
Now you can support a calm and relaxing mindset with 325 mg of magnesium carbonate, which provides 77 percent of your daily magnesium. As for the other ingredients, you get citric acid, organic lemon and raspberry flavor along with other flavors, and organic stevia extract for natural sweetness. It’s a completely vegan and gluten-free formula without sugar, fructose, artificial colors, or flavors.
What’s even better about the supplement is you get over a four-month supply for a very low price. All this from magnesium sourced from the pacific ocean for natural calm. Just add two teaspoons of powder a day to water, let it fizz, then stir until dissolved, then enjoy. Start with half a teaspoon and work your way up to the recommended daily dose.
- Calm magnesium powder: #1 selling healthy dietary supplement in a delicious raspberry lemon flavored powder form that helps boost healthy magnesium levels and supports a calming and unique relaxing experience
- Stress relief: nature’s stress remedy gives your body the fundamental nutrients your body may be lacking to help with stress so you can feel more relaxed
- Anti-stress drink: a vegan and gluten free anti-stress drink mix that is formulated with nature made magnesium sourced from the pacific ocean to promote a healthy calm
- Easy to prepare: start with half teaspoon (1g) daily and gradually increase to two teaspoons (4g) per day as needed. place the powder in a glass or mug, add water, let it fizz, then stir until dissolved and you’re one cup away from a calm experience. can be taken with or without food
- Family size: four month+ supply of great tasting, stress relief. start with half teaspoon daily and gradually increase to two teaspoons per day as needed
Save some money, avoid creepy ingredients, and start supporting your health with Deal Supplement Magnesium Complex by Eagleshine Vitamins. The highly absorbable complex offers several versions of calcium for the best benefit. Use this supplement to help with sleep, a calm mind, cramps, relaxation, recovery, your heart, and bone health.
What’s inside this deal-saver? A proprietary blend of magnesium citrate, glycinate, oxide, and aspartate. With 600 mg, you get thirty percent of the magnesium you need a day to supplement meals low in the mineral. As for inactive ingredients, it only has rice flour and gelatin capsules. Moreover, you don’t get gluten, dairy, egg, peanut, fish, soy, shellfish, wheat, yeast, or tree nuts.
Take one capsule three times a day to get a full 90 percent of your daily value, preferably with meals and a full glass of water. The brand uses high quality and third party testing to ensure quality. If you don’t love it, you have two months to get a full refund. Finally, the supplements are made right here in America, and a single bottle can offer a two month supply if you take as recommended.
- ✔✔✔ High Absorption Chelated Magnesium Complex Capsules - Magnesium 600mg, 180 capsules made with top grade ingredients of magnesium citrate, magnesium glycinate, magnesium oxide and magnesium aspartate.
- ✔✔✔ Magnesium Capsules and Magnesium Supplement- Magnesium is an essential dietary mineral which plays so many important roles in our body. It has been clinically proved that magnesium complex supplement can support stress/anxiety relief and a relaxation & restful sleep.
- ✔✔✔ Heart Health & Bone Strength - Our magnesium complex for Sleep, strongly supports heart health and bones density, it might also impact blood sugar balance as well.
- ✔✔✔ Purity & Quality - Top grade magnesium supplement, 3rd party lab tested, Non-GMO, Gluten Free, No Soy and made in USA.
- ✔✔✔ Money Back Guarantee-60 Days Unconditional Money Back Guarantee.
The Andrew Lessman Calcium-Magnesium Intensive Care is ready to help you improve your life with a quality supplement. The mild formula helps you meet your daily requirements of three essential nutrients with high bioavailability. Even better, you can pick the size you want to save money and reduce the need to shop every few months for a new supplement.
Inside the bottle, you will find vitamin C, D3, calcium, boron, and 48 percent of the magnesium you need a day in the form of magnesium oxide. This unique supplement is made with ultra-fine, extra-soluble powder that’s gentle on even sensitive stomachs. Moreover, you won’t find any dairy, gluten, soy, yeast, sugar, or any other fillers or preservatives as the capsules holding the powder.
Also, the manufacturing facility is in the US, and they follow the safest procedures to ensure a healthy supplement while also leaving zero carbon footprint. They follow ethical and eco-friendly standards and even donating prenatal vitamins. You can pick from four pill counts to last as long as you like including over a year! Take two capsules a day with food and water for the best results.
Pick this option if you need a multivitamin formula ready to improve your bones and overall health. Even though magnesium and calcium are two of the most abundant vitamins on earth, many people are deficient. Make your bones and all your body systems happy with these pills ready to improve your body function.
- MILD, NATURAL FORMULA DESIGNED TO ASSURE YOUR DAILY REQUIREMENT OF CALCIUM, MAGNESIUM, AND VITAMIN D3 – Provides an adequate intake of Calcium, Magnesium and Vitamin D in a small, easy-to-swallow capsules. Contains ultra-fine, super-soluble powder that is gentle even to the most sensitive stomachs. An alternative to ordinary, rock-hard Calcium tablets. Guarantees no chalky aftertaste and no stomach upset.
- SUPERIOR 100% PURE BIO-ACTIVE INGREDIENTS – Provides ultra-fine, super-soluble Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin D, Vitamin C and Boron. Contains NO Milk / Dairy-Free, Gluten Free; NO soy, yeast, wheat, sodium, salt, sugar, starch, fat, cholesterol, oil, emulsifier, wax, binder, filler, excipient, lubricant, coating, diluent, flowing agent, color, flavor, sweetener or preservative.
- UNSURPASSED PURITY, QUALITY, & EFFICACY. WON’T UPSET YOUR STOMACH! – For 40+ years ProCaps products have contained NO additives of any kind. NO binders, fillers, lubricants, stabilizers, flowing agents, preservatives or artificial colors. Easy-to-swallow capsules (NO tablets) deliver only the MOST bioactive vitamins, minerals & ingredients in an ultra-fine micro-granulated powder for fast, complete absorption & maximum effectiveness. Non-acidic formula is gentle even on most sensitive stomachs.
- MANUFACTURER DIRECT & MADE IN USA – ProCaps formulates, manufactures, and packages ALL of its products in ProCaps’ own laboratory and manufacturing plant in Nevada, USA. Unlike other nutritional supplement brands that utilize contract manufacturers, ProCaps controls every aspect of its products – from formulation design to ingredient sourcing, production techniques, and quality control – making ProCaps’ supplements the purest, safest, and most effective all-natural supplements available.
- ETHICAL & ECO-FRIENDY. ZERO CARBON FOOTPRINT – Uniquely committed to your health and the health of the planet, ProCaps’ facilities are 100% Solar Powered with a Zero Carbon Footprint and an LEED GOLD green building status. ALL ProCaps containers are made from 100% recyclable post-consumer resin. Plus, Andrew Lessman and ProCaps are the largest donor of prenatal vitamins in the world (over 1 billion capsules donated to date). ProCaps, the Informed Choice for Nutritional Supplements.
Get a plant-based source of magnesium with magnesium-rich organic vegetables and seeds with the NATURELO Magnesium Glycinate Supplement. Natural sources are always the best option, as are supplements without creepy ingredients like this fantastic option ready to improve your health. Get natural, balanced calm with this special formula ready to help with muscle cramps, spasms, and so much more.
You don’t get any GMOs, gluten, soy, flavorings, or preservatives. Instead, you get 200 mg of magnesium as glycinate chelate, which is 48 percent of the daily value. You also get 30 mg of organic spinach, Swiss chard, okra fruit, quinoa, black beans, pumpkin seed, sunflower seed, and flaxseed. The only inactive ingredient is the capsules themselves.
Naturelo uses an FDA registered facility with a high GMP standard right here in America. One bottle offers 120 capsules, and you should take the recommended dose of one pill per day for a four-month supply. Now you can relieve tension the natural way while decreasing blood pressure, pain, stress, and improve your sleep. If you don’t love it, get your money back.
- PLANT-BASED: Premium Magnesium Supplement with Magnesium-Rich Vegetables and Seeds. Includes Organic Spinach, Swiss Chard, Okra, Quinoa, Black Bean, Pumpkin Seed, Sunflower Seed, and Flaxseed.
- MAGNESIUM GLYCINATE CHELATE: 200 mg of Magnesium per capsule, chelated with the amino acid Glycine for enhanced bioavailability. Glycinate is easy on your stomach and does not have the laxative effect associated with other forms of Magnesium such as Oxide, Citrate, L-Threonate, Malate, Taurate, and Chloride.
- NATURAL, CALM, BALANCED: Perfectly formulated to alleviate muscle cramps, spasms, restless legs, and muscle tension, this remedy can also support better sleep, relaxation and anti-stress benefits.
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Unlike cheaper brands this product is Made in the USA with Premium Ingredients that are Non-GMO, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Vegan & Vegetarian, and contain NO Coloring, Flavoring, or Preservatives of any kind.
- 100% SATISFACTION: Proven effectiveness with a 100% Money Back Guarantee. Glycinate Chelate has established itself to be the best form of magnesium. Stop wasting your money on cheaper, ineffective supplements and experience the NATURELO difference today.
Take your magnesium with vitamin B6 for better relaxation and to help manage stress. The Magnesium Complex by Trio Nutrition Mind Body Spirit offers just such a vitamin to help with calm, relaxation, muscles, and sleep. Build stronger bones and get better absorption with this dynamic duo.
Save money when you stock up on this affordable supplement. You get 2 mg of vitamin B6 as pyridoxal-5-phosphate, which is 118 percent of your daily value. The other active ingredient is 400 mg of magnesium oxide and glycinate for 100% of your daily value. Vegetable capsules and silica are the only inactive ingredients, and both are safe – no allergens of any sort to cause you any problems.
Take two vegetable capsules one a day with a meal and a glass of water. Trio Nutrition manufactures their supplements in an FDA registered facility with the highest GMP standards. A single bottle of 180 capsules offers a three month supply.
Wake up refreshed and improve your entire body with a single supplement. Magnesium oxide can cause an upset stomach if taken without food and doesn’t absorb as well as other versions, but this mix works to alleviate the issues so you can get the highest elemental magnesium.
- ✔ ADDED VITAMIN B6 FOR EASY ABSORPTION… Vitamin B6 is needed to help your body absorb this magnesium supplement and has been formulated to get the best results fast*
- ✔SUPPORTS MUSCLE RELAXATION… this magnesium complex can help reduce muscle cramping & spasms at night or during exercise to help you sleep & perform better*
- ✔ WAKE UP FEELING REFRESHED… magnesium may help improve sleep, calm and may reduce anxiety and fatigue.*
- ✔ HELPS BUILD STRONGER BONES… a lack of magnesium is associated with a decrease in bone density; these capsules contain 100% or your daily requirements*
- ✔ [PACKAGING MAY VARY] 90 DAY SUPPLY, NO MAJOR FOOD ALLEGENS, VEGETARIAN & CRUELTY-FREE… premium magnesium glycinate & magnesium oxide that is suitable for vegetarians and vegans
Get a potent supplement with fabulous absorption with the BioEmblem Triple Magnesium Complex. The brand offers a supplement ready to help with relaxation, calmness, and improved sleep. Also, the capsules promote heart health, energy production, and bone density.
Next, the pills come with third-party testing in an NSF and GMP facility, all with third-party testing for purity and accuracy. Moreover, the pills are vegan, non-GMO, gluten-free, with no fillers, preservatives, stearates, or other unnecessary ingredients. Just take two soft-gel caps once a day with food to gain all the benefits for a 45 day supply of magnesium.
The pills offer 300 mg of magnesium malate, glycinate, and citrate for a 71 percent daily value. Also, the only inactive ingredients are the plant cellulose capsules and organic rice hull extract. You don’t get any allergies, just a mineral you need for good health. With a blend of three forms of magnesium, you get a better range of benefits with more bioavailability.
- MAXIMUM ABSORPTION & POTENT MAGNESIUM SUPPLEMENT: BioEmblem Triple Magnesium Complex features 300mg of three types of pure magnesium (Glycinate, Malate, Citrate). Each is chelate or highly absorbable for maximum bioavailability. Our formula is easy on the stomach and "non-buffered," meaning this blend isn't diluted with less expensive and less absorbable magnesium oxide.*
- SUPPORTS RELAXATION, CALMNESS & IMPROVED SLEEP: Magnesium, especially in mag glycinate form, is an essential nutrient that supports healthy muscle and nerve function. This can help relieve muscle cramps and soothe tension for a greater sense of relaxation, calm, and restful sleep.*
- PROMOTES HEART HEALTH AND ENERGY PRODUCTION: As a cofactor in hundreds of enzyme reactions, magnesium, especially magnesium malate, supports the metabolism of nutrients for cellular energy production. Magnesium supplements also help maintain normal blood pressure and heart rhythm to support overall cardiovascular health.*
- BONE DENSITY & MOOD BENEFITS: Studies have shown that magnesium helps regulate vitamins and nutrients like calcium and zinc to support healthy bones and strong bone density. Magnesium can also help alleviate migraines and headaches for improved mood and anxiety relief.*
- 3RD PARTY TESTED & BIOEMBLEM QUALITY: BioEmblem Triple Magnesium Complex is made in the USA at a NSF-registered cGMP facility and is 3rd party tested for purity and accuracy. Every magnesium pill is vegan, non-GMO, gluten-free and contains no fillers, artificial ingredients, preservatives, or stearates.
Buying Guide for Magnesium Supplements
Magnesium comes in multiple forms and with many benefits. Before you pick your favorite option, take a look at the side effects, and get some answers to your questions too.
Magnesium comes in several different forms, all will help to reduce a deficiency, but some come with a few more side effects while others are more bioavailable. Take a look at the most common options.
Magnesium Citrate is simply magnesium combined with citric acid, and it may have a laxative effect but will also help to improve digestion and reduce constipation.
Magnesium Glycinate is extremely absorbable, and one of the most recommended forms of calcium. It’s less likely to cause digestive issues or a laxative effect than other forms of the mineral.
Magnesium Oxide is magnesium mixed with pure oxygen. It’s used to increase blood magnesium levels, and it’s potent too. However, it doesn’t absorb as well as other versions of the mineral and isn’t as bioavailable either and can be a lower quality too.
Magnesium Malate is a mixture of magnesium and malic acid, and it’s known for improving fibromyalgia symptoms and chronic fatigue syndrome. Malic acid plays a huge role in generating energy.
Magnesium Carbonate is a fizzy version of the mineral and can cause an upset stomach just like its sister’s chloride and gluconate. However, it’s not a natural form of the supplement, but many enjoy using this form in a drink to improve taking supplements.
Reasons for Magnesium Deficiency
Soil depletion has lowered the amount of magnesium in crops dramatically in the last several decades. GMOs and large levels of chemicals in food also reduce the number of magnesium people consume naturally. Most people are magnesium deficient now because of these reasons. If possible, try to eat non-GMO and organic to naturally improve your levels, although the soil depletion can even occur in organic farms too because of limited farming space.
Certain people are more likely to experience a deficiency, too, besides just a processed diet. Those with GI troubles, diabetes, alcohol dependency, and the elderly are at a greater risk for low magnesium levels. Also, many prescription medications and even antibiotics can damage the digestive tract making it difficult to absorb magnesium from food. People with any form of disorder should speak to their doctor and check their magnesium levels.
You will see massive improvements when you take a magnesium supplement. First, it can help to increase energy levels by activating adenosine triphosphate (ATP). Without this, you will be tired pretty much all the time.
Next, the supplement can improve your level of calm and reduce anxiety by improving GABA function – the neurotransmitter that produces serotonin – the happy hormone. For the same reason, magnesium can treat insomnia and help you get better sleep.
Magnesium also improves digestion and relieves constipation by relaxing the muscles in the digestive tract. It also neutralizes stomach acid to move stool through your body with ease. Moreover, it relieves muscle aches and spasms by improving communication with neuromuscular signals.
Finally, magnesium balances your levels of calcium, potassium, and sodium. If you take a calcium supplement, you should take a magnesium supplement too to balance calcium levels and improve your health. The mineral can even improve heart health, prevent migraines, and improve bone health.
For more information on the health benefits of magnesium, watch this video:
If you eat a healthy diet filled with magnesium-rich foods, you may not need to supplement. However, with a world full of processed foods, the vast majority of adults need more magnesium. While magnesium overdoses are possible, they are very rare and not thought to be a threat to the majority of the population.
Keep in mind, though, that magnesium from a food source usually has little effects, but supplement versions can cause digestive issues. Many magnesium supplements can cause a laxative effect, which is kind of a benefit for those who are irregular. If you do take too much supplemental magnesium, you may experience irregular heartbeat, low blood pressure, confusion, and slowed breathing.
Adult men over the age of 18 need a total of 400 milligrams, and women need 310 milligrams. Men over the age of 31 need 420, while women need 320. Pregnant women need extra with a range of 350 to 360 mg. With a healthy diet, you should need a supplement with only a percentage of your daily need.
Questions About Magnesium
How can I tell if I am magnesium deficient?
Many symptoms can tell you if you are deficient in magnesium. Those symptoms include leg cramps, insomnia, muscle pain, anxiety, high blood pressure, type II diabetes, fatigue, migraines, and osteoporosis.
What foods are high in magnesium?
Many foods have magnesium, but the best sources come from spinach, Swiss chard, black beans, mung beans, almonds, cashews, potatoes, pumpkin seeds, avocado, bananas, broccoli, and Brussel sprouts.
Which other nutrients help absorb magnesium?
Magnesium and zinc have mutual benefits. The magnesium can help to absorb the zinc while the zinc and help you to absorb the magnesium more effectively. Potassium is another supplement that pairs well with magnesium, as does iron.
Magnesium is vital for your health, and far too many people have low levels because of diet, soil depletion, and other factors. You can fix your problem with Magnesium by Smarter Nutrition, which comes from a natural water source. With this option, you don’t have to worry about soil depletion, and you can increase your health with minimal effort.