The Top 7 Vitamin B12 Supplements Reviewed
If you are struggling with fatigue, low energy, or lack of focus, you may need extra vitamin B12. People on a vegan or vegetarian diet may have lower levels of this important vitamin in their system or those who aren’t eating a healthy diet. Have no fear. With the right supplement, you can boost your vitamin B12 intake and start getting your life back.
Why do you need vitamin B12? Because it helps to form red blood cells! Moreover, this important vitamin can help support bone health, protect your eyes, improve mood, reduce depression, prevent the loss of brain neurons, improve your heart, and even help maintain healthy hair, skin, and nails. That’s a whole lot of good from a single vitamin!
The good news is upping your intake only requires a single supplement, and it comes in multiple forms to make your life easier. We also want to make your life easier, which is why we found the best vitamin B12 supplements available without you having to spend hours researching. We also avoided any active or inactive ingredients that can cause problems such as mannitol, sorbitol, xylitol, cyanocobalamin, fructose, or food dyes.
We did all the work, and you get all the benefits! Take a look at the seven best supplements, then stay on after to read about the benefits, side effects, and get some answers to your questions.
The Best Vitamin B12 Supplements
The next source of vitamin B12 is a little bit different than the other options as it’s an all-natural source of vitamin B12 still in the food source. Also, the Organic Spirulina Supplement by Micro Ingredients comes in its natural form without any changes except forming it into easy to swallow tablets. The best news is spirulina – a natural algae – offers more than just a massive dose of B12 but also a whole host of added nutrients ready to get you energized.
Nature made the perfect multivitamin and then stuck it the sea. What makes it so wonderful? Its a massive source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids as well as copper, iron, manganese, magnesium, and potassium. It’s also high in riboflavin, thiamin, niacin, and pantothenic acid. What you really want to know is it’s also high in vitamin B12 with 7 mcg or 290 percent of your daily value. The algae also has smaller amounts of many other vitamins and minerals as well, making it a powerhouse of health.
The tablets in this sealable bag are also organic, non-GMO, and vegan friendly. Get your fiber, amino acids, fatty acids, minerals, phytonutrients, and even your antioxidant without taking a ton of separate supplements. A single bag offers 720 tablets and lasts for four months. You do need to take six tablets daily to get all the nutrients, but this allows you to customize your dosage, making it an even better value.
Furthermore, the supplement is made right here in the USA and is tested for purity and safety. It’s just spirulina, so you don’t have to worry about sugar, soy, dairy, yeast, or gluten. You can gain all the benefits of 3,000 mg of spirulina to boost your energy, detox from heavy metals, fight cancer, lower blood pressure, reduce cholesterol, protect your brain, and even alleviate sinus issues!
- SUPPORT YOUR HEALTH WITH NATURE'S MOST PERFECT MULTIVITAMIN. Sari Foods planet-friendly spirulina is vegan, non-synthetic, and is high in iron; vitamin K; vitamin A; vitamins B1, B2, and B12; and chromium. Spirulina is also a good source of zinc, and supplies magnesium, chlorophyll, phytonutrients, antioxidants, and essential amino acids (GLA, Omega 3, 6 & 9s).
- DISCOVER THE NATURAL BLUE-GREEN GOODNESS OF ALGAE. Harvested in natural freshwater lakes, dried, and then pulverized into a fine powder, our organic spirulina and its army of nature-made nutrients work wonders in the body to nourish your health naturally.
- ENJOY A SUSTAINABLE SOURCE OF PROTEIN. This ancient food-based miracle food delivers seven grams of protein per tablespoon serving to keep you feeling full and satisfied. And with more antioxidants than five servings of fruits and vegetables spirulina helps you feel strong and sustained all day long.
- EXPERIENCE ENERGY FROM NATURE. Sari Foods Organic Spirulina Powder is chock full of nutrients that can help to naturally support your vitality, so you can continue to feel your best at every stage of life.
- IMPROVE ENERGY, MOOD & METABOLISM. Sari Foods Organic Spirulina elevates your energy by unlocking sugar from your cells so it does not get stored as fat. The deep green color of Spirulina comes from a high concentration of Chlorophyll which absorbs its pure energy from sunlight and is considered nature's most effective energy booster, giving you instant and all-day energy.
Do you love ginger? Try the MegaFood Certified Organic B12 Energy Ginger Gummies, ready to provide energy support in an easy to ingest gummy. Even better, they are completely organic, so you get all the good without any of the bad. Also, ginger comes with a whole host of its own benefits.
The two active ingredients include 24 mcg (microgram) of vitamin B12, which is one of the smallest doses available and still more than you need. Ginger is the second active ingredient, and it’s organic! The short list of inactive ingredients includes all organic tapioca syrup, cane sugar, pectin, citric acid, sodium citrate, beetroot powder, sunflower oil, and carnauba wax.
What you don’t get is GMOs, herbicides, pesticides, gluten, dairy, or soy. It’s real food made with a real purpose. For example, ginger can fight nausea, fungal infections, stomach ulcers, cancer growth, blood sugar, joint pain, cholesterol, and a whole host of other issues. Together these two active ingredients go together like peanut butter and jelly to make your life better.
Simply take two gummies a day either with or without food and start enjoying all of the benefits from a holistic brand ready to invigorate your life with organic ingredients. It also comes in cranberry by the same brand if you don’t love ginger and need a sweet fruit to get the job done.
- ENERGIZING SUPPORT: Crafted with 24 mcg of methylated vitamin B12 and herbs to provide energy support in a tasty gummy vitamin
- INVIGORATING SPICE: Enjoy the pleasant zing of organic ginger root without high-fructose corn syrup, gelatin, artificial colors or sugary coatings; Just 10 calories and 2 grams of sugar
- TAKE ANY TIME OF DAY: Take 2 gummies any time of day, even on an empty stomach
- OBSESSED WITH QUALITY: Non-GMO Project Verified, tested for 125+ herbicides and pesticides, free of gluten, dairy, soy; Certified B Corp; Certified Glyphosate Residue Free
- MADE WITH REAL FOOD, AND REAL PURPOSE: Premium supplements made with real food and added nutrients; We work with trusted farm partners who share our commitment to organic and regenerative agriculture
The Organic Vitamin B12 (Methyl) Liquid Sublingual Spray by MaryRuth’s offers a sublingual spray with no sugar ready to give you a boost of energy. It offers a fun and delicious berry flavor with all the best ingredients possible. As it’s sublingual, you take it by spraying under your tongue for the best bet.
With this supplement, you get a single active ingredient – vitamin B12 – with 3,000 mcg or 50,000 percent of your daily value. However, as the brand suggests, you use four sprays daily, you can choose your dosage and opt for one spray at 12,500 mcg instead. You can choose your own dose, making this an amazing value!
The inactive ingredients include all organic, vegan, and non-GMO ingredients such as vegetable glycerin, natural berry flavor, citric acid, and potassium sorbate. Although this has a healthy dose of purified water too. No need to worry about wheat, yeast, soy, sugar, or nightshades either! Finally, the product is made by a small business trying to bring big health benefits to your home.
- ORGANIC SUBLINGUAL- Vitamin B12 Sublingual Methylated for fast absorption.
- ENERGY BOOST- EXTRA STRENGTH- 3000 mcg of preferred Methyl B12 w/Organic Ingredients, Non-GMO, Vegan, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Yeast Free, Soy Free, Paleo Friendly and Celiac Friendly. NO Nightshades.
- SMALL BUSINESS, BIG HEALTH -Owned and operated by a passionate mother-daughter team. Enjoy healthy supplements formulated by culinary chef, nutritional consultant, and certified health educator MaryRuth Ghiyam.
An affordable option of this necessary vitamin is the Superior Source No Shot Vitamin B12, and it’s easy to take too! Even better, this supplement is completely freak of creepy chemicals and doesn’t require a shot. Like the other options on the list, it’s sourced from bio-identical methylcobalamin, making it both safe and healthy. Start feeling more energized by boosting your energy production today!
The micro-lingual vitamin melts or dissolves instantly with no pills or shots. Just place a tablet under your tongue for max absorption and benefit for your body with the most active version of B12 available. Next, you get 1,000 mcg of methylcobalamin or 16,670 percent of your daily value from a single tablet. The only inactive ingredients include lactose from milk and acacia gum. However, you should not choose this option if you are allergic to dairy products.
Furthermore, a single bottle contains a two month supply of instant dissolving tablets. No fillers or other inactive ingredients bog the pills down. Instead, you get a quality supplement from a family-owned facility with high purity standards. Also, the pills have no taste except for a slight sweetness making them edible for those who don’t like mint, berry, or ginger.
- FEEL MORE ENERGIZED B12 vitamins play an important role in the body's energy production. Since B12 can't be stored by the body it gets washed out each day. Taking vitamin B12 1000 mcg daily is the best way to prevent deficiencies.
- MICROLINGUAL VITAMINS Methylcobalamin melts that dissolve instantly with no pills to swallow. Superior Source pioneered the world's best delivery system of sublingual vitamins that melt fast under the tongue and give max absorption for the body. Methylcobalamin is the most active form of B12 it doesn’t need to be converted to be immediately utilized.
- INCREDIBLY PURE We test all incoming raw materials for the active ingredients heavy metals GMOs and microbial contamination through a thirdparty certified laboratory.Once completed the finished Superior Source vitamins go for additional potency contaminant and purity testing. Once we confirm that the finished product meets or exceeds our GMP compliant quality standards it is released to you.
- NO JUNK FILLERS OR BINDERS Hard compressed tablets require lots of binders to hold them together. Capsules are so large they usually contain excessive fillers and additives to fill up extra space. Our micro tablets only contain the active B12 and necessary natural ingredients.
- SUPERIOR SOURCE Creating pure MicroLingual vitamins since 1998 in our own family owned manufacturing facility. We test all raw materials and inspect every bottle that comes off the line to maintain our incredibly high purity standards. We are a business built from love for health wellness fitness nutrition and the need for a better delivery system
If you prefer pills to liquids or gummies, try Pure Encapsulations – Methylcobalamin ready to help improve your nervous system. While this brand costs more than some of the other options, it’s a doctor recommended brand ready to boost energy production and even your emotional wellness. It can even help maintain healthy glutamate activity in the brain for healthy brain cell activity.
Boost your cognitive, memory, and emotional health too with pure ingredients in easy to swallow capsules. A single bottle contains 180 capsules or a six month supply making the price much easier to digest just like the vitamin itself! All this from a well-known quality brand determined to assist you in finding your healthiest self.
With this supplement, you get 1,000 mcg (micrograms) of vitamin B12, which translates to 41,667 percent of the vitamin B12 you need per day. There are only two inactive ingredients, including hypoallergenic plant fiber and the vegetarian capsules made of cellulose. Mind you, the supplement has a natural red color, which can make the pills a variety of colors from off-white to light pink. Finally, the pills are completely free of allergens, gluten, and GMOs.
- Nerve Health: Methylcobalamin offers advanced vitamin B12 support for a healthy nervous system.*
- Neurological Health: Methylcobalamin helps maintain healthy glutamate activity in the brain, providing support for healthy brain cell activity.*
- Emotional Health: Encourages optimal cognitive, memory, and emotional health.*
- Pure Ingredients: Pure Encapsulations manufactures a line of hypoallergenic, research-based dietary supplements. Products are meticulously formulated using pure ingredients designed to deliver predictable results for the benefit of all patients, even the most sensitive.*
- Free From: Pure Encapsulations products are free from wheat, gluten, egg, peanuts, magnesium stearate, hydrogenated fat, artificial sweeteners and colors, and other unnecessary excipients. Any product containing ingredients derived from allergens, such as soy, dairy or shellfish is clearly labeled. *These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Another wonderful capsule option is the Vital Nutrients – Vitamin B12 / Methyl Folate because it’s a B-complex ready to help you out in multiple ways. It supports the gastrointestinal tract thanks to the mix of two active B-vitamins to help your body metabolize protein and fats that, in turn, support your GI tract. Moreover, this supplement can support a healthy nervous system, brain function, and produce energy.
With 1,000 mcg of vitamin B12 and 1360 mcg of Folate, you get a comprehensive supplement ready to get your body making energy and supporting other functions as well. The only inactive ingredients include cellulose, vegetable cellulose capsules, rice powder, and ascorbyl palmitate. All of which are safe and healthy ways to help deliver the B vitamins.
All the ingredients are 100 percent tested in an FDA approved facility. You don’t have to worry about binders, coatings, gluten, dairy, soy, egg, or sugar. Take one vegetarian capsule per day. Lastly, a single bottle includes 100 capsules for just over a three month supply making the price exceptional, especially since the company ensures the highest quality of their products.
- Supports Gastrointestinal Tract Health: This methylated form of Vitamins B12 (methylcobalamin) and Folate (Metafolin L-5-MTHF) work together to support the metabolism of protein and fats, which helps maintain a healthy gastrointestinal tract.*
- Supports Nervous System: Vitamin B-12 supports a healthy myelin sheath, healthy nerves, energy production and proper brain function in healthy adults.*
- Maintains Homocysteine Levels: Homocysteine is a natural amino acid made by the body during the metabolism of methionine. Healthy homocysteine levels support immune function and brain and cardiovascular health.*
- Does Not Contain: This product is free from coatings, binders, gluten (wheat, rye, barley)*, milk/dairy (casein, whey)*, soy protein*, egg protein*, and sugar*. *Verified by independent testing.
- 100% Tested Ingredients: Since 2007, the FDA has mandated that supplement manufacturers test their ingredients and products. However, it allows manufacturers to perform minimal testing called "skip lot testing" meaning only a fraction of the ingredients are tested. Vital Nutrients has always exceeded these testing requirements by performing hundreds of tests on all raw materials and finished products at certified U.S. labs, allowing us to minimize potential risk of harm to the consumer.
The Garden of Life B12 Vitamin is an organic whole food B-12 liquid ready to increase your metabolism and energy. It’s a raspberry-flavored liquid that you spray into your mouth. The concentrated supplement spray allows you the best method of delivery for your body to get the vitamins where they need to go quickly.
With this complex, you don’t just get vitamin B12 but also a whole host of organic foods to help improve your health and gain all the benefits without sitting down to a full meal or having to cook. Not that this spray replaces food, it’s about getting the nutrients. One spray once a day is all an adult needs. However, you need to keep it refrigerated and use it in 90 days.
Each spray provides 500 mcg of vitamin B12, which is over 20,000 times your needed value. Also, it includes an organic food blend full of too many vegetables and fruits to list! As for inactive ingredients, you get water, glycerin, apple juice, raspberry flavor, mandarin peel flavor, lemon juice, citrus extract, stevia, and rice. All of these are organic too!
Furthermore, the supplement isn’t just organic but also free of GMO and gluten. It’s also kosher and vegan. A single bottle lasts for over four months, making it a great option for couples who both want to get more B12 as you can only keep it in the fridge for a month. Start making more red blood cells now and improve your health.
- ENERGY SUPPLEMENT: One spray daily delivers 500 Microgram (8333percentage DV) vegan vitamin b12 as methylcobalamin to support energy, metabolism, and heart health
- VITAMIN B 12: Essential to protect the body against anemia and support a healthy central nervous system, b12 vitamin helps maintain healthy nerve cells and red blood cells and is also needed to make DNA, the genetic material in all cells
- CONCENTRATION SUPPLEMENT: This whole food b 12 concentration spray are made from real, nutritious foods
- LIQUID VITAMIN: Our organic liquid vitamin b 12 comes in delicious, mouth watering raspberry spray
- ORGANIC VITAMIN: Our real food b 12 vitamin is Certified USDA Organic, Non GMO Verified, Vegan Certified, Gluten Free Certified, and Kosher Made
Buying Guide for Vitamin B12 Supplements
Vitamin B12 has a massive impact on your health, but there are a few things you should know before making a purchase to help you make the best choice available. Get some answers to your pertinent questions too.
Your body does not naturally make vitamin B12, which means you need to get it from food or supplemental sources. What’s crazy is you need this vitamin to form red blood cells, that help to create hemoglobin and carry oxygen from the lungs to the rest of your body.
That being said, there are two forms of receiving this important vitamin, including a synthetic and natural form of the nutrient. The two sources are almost identical. However, the synthetic form contains a cyanide molecule and should be avoided. When picking a supplement, always pick the natural form methylcobalamin instead of cyanocobalamin.
For this list, we avoided ingredients that can cause discomfort like mannitol – a sweet sugar alcohol that can cause gastrointestinal discomfort – and many other ingredients that do not contribute to your well-being.
Vitamin B12 offers so many benefits it might blow your mind! First, the vitamin helps to maintain your energy levels and boosts your metabolism by converting carbohydrates into useable glucose in the body. This is why a deficiency can cause fatigue. In turn, the extra energy will help your body work better and even help with weight loss!
Next, the vitamin can help prevent memory loss by reducing neurodegenerative disease. It can help to reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s and dementia! Moreover, it can boost your mood by helping your nervous system to work properly. You can say goodbye to depression, mood disorders, and anxiety, as vitamin B12 is crucial for neurological function.
Also, this vitamin helps with your heart health by reducing homocysteine levels. You also get benefits for your hair, skin, and nails, thanks to cell reproduction. It can help to reduce redness, dryness, inflammation, acne, psoriasis, and even eczema.
Vitamin B12 helps to aid in digestion by increasing enzyme production. This vitamin helps to metabolize and breakdown the food you eat and helps to foster healthy bacteria, which can help to prevent digestive disorders. Lastly, it can also prevent cancer.
You can take vitamin B12 in multiple methods, including tablets, drops, oral spray, gel, or even as an injection. While vitamin B12 is extremely necessary, you do not need massive doses of the substance. Adults and teens over the age of 4 only need 2.4 micrograms. Pregnant and nursing moms need 2.8 micrograms.
Questions About Vitamin B12 Supplements
What foods contain vitamin B12?
Quite a few foods naturally contain vitamin B12, but most of them are foods vegans, and vegetarians won’t eat. Individuals who don’t eat a healthy diet or even a common western diet may also be lacking in this vitamin too. You can find the vitamin in meats like animal livers or kidneys, clams, sardines, beef, tuna, trout, and salmon.
Other food sources of vitamin B12 include eggs, milk and dairy products, and non-dairy milk like soy. You can also buy some fortified sources of B12 like fortified yeast like cereals and breads. Sea algae can even provide massive doses of the vitamin. If these foods already make it on your list daily, you may be all set! If not, consider adding this essential vitamin to your supplemental list.
Can taking too much vitamin B12 cause problems?
Because vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin, even high doses are considered safe. It has low levels of toxicity because your body will excrete whatever excess it doesn’t use through urine. However, there are a few negative side effects associated with excessive intake such as acne, rosacea,
What are the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency?
Lacking vitamin B12 can have a massive impact on your health and mind. Not only can a deficiency cause extreme fatigue and a lack of energy, but it can also decrease appetite, cause faintness, headaches, ringing in ears, out of breath feeling, confusion, paranoia, and even yellow skin. You may even experience a lack of focus, dental problems, and even joint pain.
Moreover, you may notice difficulty walking (as in balance problems), cognitive difficulties, and muscle weakness. Some people even experience depression, dementia, and poor memory. As you can tell, you need vitamin B12.
For more information about vitamin B12 deficiency, watch this video:
For those who still cannot decide which supplement to pick, we suggest the MegaFood Certified Organic B12 Energy Ginger Gummies because they are easy to take and come with a wonderful amount of B12 without going overboard. All this and you get a yummy ginger taste with all the benefits of ginger too. Get the energy you need and start enjoying life again.