The Top 7 Casein Protein Powders Reviewed
While whey protein powders seem to rule the market, another milk-derived product might be a better choice. Casein protein powder comes from milk but takes longer to digest. However, whey may be better for building muscle, but casein still has tons of benefits like improving your immune and digestive systems.
If you are looking for long-lasting amino acids, you need casein protein powder. It’s easy to digest and helps to preserve lean muscle tissue. About 80 percent of the protein in milk comes from casein, making it a fabulous source of protein, and it’s ready to improve your diet in easy to drink powders.
We did all the legwork and found the seven best options to save you money and time. Also, the options we chose are free of creepy ingredients like fillers, fake sugars, and food dyes, so you know you are getting the best possible supplements. After taking a look at our favorites, keep reading to get valuable information about casein protein and answers to your questions too.
The Best Casein Protein Powders
Are you looking for a casein protein powder free of creepy sugars with tons of amino acids? You need the Naked Casein – 5LB 100% Micellar Casein Protein Powder. It comes with just the one ingredient, and it’s ready to mix into milk, water, smoothies, or baked good and pump up your protein intake.
With just a single ingredient – micellar casein – you don’t have to worry about finding Sucralose lurking in the label like with most protein powders. Have no fear, this brand is called naked because it’s not wearing anything artificial! Instead, you get easy to digest with a huge dose of calcium and phosphorous. You even get a little iron, potassium, and magnesium, too, without large amounts of cholesterol or sugar.
Pick from three flavors – chocolate, vanilla, unflavored, and two sizes 5 pounds or 16 ounces. If you pick the economic 5-pound size, you get 76 six servings to last you about a two and a half month supply making the price much more palatable. Moreover, the ingredients are cold-pressed for less contamination and no chemicals.
Use this amino-acid loaded supplement comes only from US farms. It’s best for nighttime recovery as it’s a slow-digesting supplement ready to improve your muscle mass overnight. With 19 amino acids, you get all of the proteins you need to improve your mood, help your brain, and so much more.
- ONLY ONE INGREDIENT: 100% Micellar Casein Protein Powder with no growth hormones, no rBGH and no rBST. No additives mean your casein shakes, smoothies and recipes will provide clean muscle gains and maximum recovery.
- US FARMS ONLY: Naked Casein is brought to you only from US farms to ensure that our unflavored casein protein powder is packed full of essential amino acids, clean protein and BCAAs.
- COLD PROCESSED: Naked Casein is cold processed, which means there is no contamination from chemical detergents (no acid or bleach), synthetic additives, or heavy metals.
- UNMATCHED NUTRITION: 26g of Protein, 2g of Sugar, 0g of Carbs, 110 Calories, and 5.9g of BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids) per serving of casein powder.
- BEST NIGHT-TIME RECOVERY: Casein protein powder is slow digesting, unlike whey which digests fast. Make a casein shake before bed to absorb protein and get a sustained release of amino acids while you sleep.
Get the Genius Protein Powder – Natural Whey Protein Isolate & Micellar Casein offers a mixture of two milk products to get you fast and slow absorbing protein. It’s the best of both worlds with a release of protein all day long to help you build and repair your muscles. You get all this, and it’s from grass-fed cows for the most nutrient-dense possible supplement.
You can replace full meals with this protein supplement to lose weight and build lean body mass. As casein boosts satiety and controls cortisol, it’s the perfect option to help you go longer with tons of protein. You can even use it after a workout if you don’t want to use it to replace meals.
The powder comes with the Genius promise of no fillers, dyes, artificial flavors, or fake sweeteners, so you know you are getting the best product possible. The ingredients include whey protein, casein, can sugar, cocoa, natural flavors, organic stevia, xanthan gum, and organic rice hulls. If you have a sensitive stomach or IBS symptoms, you may want to avoid this option, though, as whey and xanthan gum can cause stomach troubles.
Finally, the supplement is low in cholesterol, sodium, and sugars but provides 48 percent of your daily protein you need, and 29 percent of the calcium you need per day. Now you can support immune function, muscle growth, and even your bones with this powerful supplement.
- Whey Protein Transparent Blend with Casein and Whey Isolate; This is the best of both worlds, combining both slow and fast release to create the best all natural protein powder for muscle building
- The New Standard For Whey Protein Powder Is Orange; Best in class quality, advanced science and an all-natural approach, Genius struck gold; Grass fed, post workout perfection
- Meal Replacement Shake For Weight Loss and Lean Body Mass; Micellar casein has been show to boost satiety essentially curbing hunger and cravings while better controlling cortisol resulting in a better lean body composition
- Natural Post Workout Muscle Building Supplement; If you want an all natural muscle builder that works there’s no need to get fancy, keep it simple, follow science and consume 2 grams of protein per pound of muscle
- Backed by the Genius Promise; No fillers, dyes, artificial flavors or sweeteners
The 100% Casein Protein Powder by Promix offers a low-calorie nighttime supplement to help you deliver amino acids to your body all night long. Decrease recovery time and increase muscle growth without fat or carbs. Now you can get lean muscles and better fitness results with a powder straight from a midwest dairy farm.
All of the cows are raised in pastures without hormones or antibiotics for healthy milk to produce your protein supply. The company has the highest testing standards and offer supplements free of soy, gluten, GMOs, chemical bleaching, or additives. You get all natural healthy ingredients ready to mix into milk, water, or a smoothie for fifty percent of your daily protein needs.
You will find only two ingredients in this product, micellar casein and less than two percent of non-GMO sunflower lecithin. It also includes BCAA or branched-chain amino acids, which break down slower, along with 18 essential and non-essential amino acids capable of improving your entire body.
It’s lower on the list because it doesn’t mix as well as other options like our favorite option above, and not everyone likes the taste either. Take two scoops per serving to use the powder, and a single container holds two and half months of powder. Finally, you can pick from two flavors – chocolate or unflavored to suit your needs.
- Low calorie night time protein supplement helps you capitalize on the hard work you put in at the gym; with a long lasting, slow release of amino acids you get a protein boost all night long that helps to decrease recovery time and increase muscle growth
- 0 grams Fat and Carbs; you get 25 grams of pure, high molecular weight Casein Protein; the optimum slow absorbing protein powder for lean muscle and best fitness results
- Our Midwest dairy farm partners ensure a pasture based supply of verified hormone-free and antibiotic-free milk from which we derive our protein; For over five years we have worked with the same farms, bringing years of true quality you can trust
- THE HIGHEST TESTING STANDARDS: Higher testing standards than any other protein powder on our protein quality: soy free, gluten free, non GMO, hormone free and no chemical bleaching or additives; our ingredients are all natural
- Our industry leading filtration techniques are completely chemical free so proteins stay intact; with a dash of sunflower lecithin added in for easier mixing than any other protein powder, you can easily put casein in a shake, smoothie bowl, etc.
Use Ascent Native Fuel Micellar Casein Protein Powder to recover while you sleep. It helps to prevent muscle loss overnight with slow-digesting protein without any artificial ingredients. Moreover, the supplement comes in three different flavors, including the usuals chocolate and vanilla along with chocolate peanut butter.
What’s fabulous about this option is it’s free of artificial ingredients. The supplement includes micellar casein, peanuts, cocoa, natural flavors, gum blend (guar, acacia, and xanthan), sea salt, sunflower lecithin, monk fruit extract, and stevia. This item is lower on the list because of the gum blend. While they are all-natural ingredients, they tend to cause stomach problems and can cause digestive issues in sensitive people.
One scoop of the powder gets you fifty percent of the protein you need a day in the form of BCAA’s. The supplement also offers 45 percent of the calcium you need, along with minor amounts of iron and potassium. You can blend it into liquid or even turn it into a pudding for an enjoyable and beneficial treat. Also, it’s gluten-free and Informed Choice Certified.
- Recover while you sleep: help prevent muscle loss overnight with this slow-digesting protein
- Zero artificial ingredients
- 25g protein per scoop, 11g of naturally occurring BCAAs, and a clean, minimal ingredient panel
- Certified Gluten Free & Informed Choice Certified
- Usage: Mix with 10-12 oz liquid or make into a pudding (see below for recipe)
Bulksupplement’s Casein Protein Powder Bulksupplements Casein Protein Powder is pure unadulterated casein protein powder. Use this slow absorbing protein to fuel your muscles during the night. What’s wonderful about this supplement is it only has two ingredients micellar casein and soy lecithin. You can even use this simple powder to manage your weight.
Not everyone tolerates soy, but in small doses, it’s a perfectly safe source of fatty acids with several health benefits and minimal problems. Bulk supplements offers hundreds of supplements all from an FDA and GMP facility with a focus on wellness with verified third-party testing. This one contains BCAA to assist in recovery after strenuous physical activity.
You can also improve lean muscle mass at a faster rate with the high protein content with just over half of the protein you need a day. It’s also loaded with almost half of your daily calcium along with smaller amounts of phosphorous, magnesium, and potassium. Mix five tablespoons with liquid or into baked goods for a 33 day supply of the powder.
- Slow absorption rate
- Loaded with essential amino acids
- Help with muscle recovery*
- Contribute to muscle growth*
- Help maintain healthy weight in already healthy individuals*
If you are looking for an easier to digest casein supplement, try the MT. CAPRA Caprotein, because it’s made with goat milk casein. Goat milk is far easier for your body to digest. While many people have tolerance issues with cow’s milk, goats milk rarely causes issues, and it’s nutrient-dense too! The only issue with goat’s milk is the taste is far different from the cow milk you are used to drinking.
Goat milk has fewer allergens, is less inflammatory, reduces cholesterol, it’s high in calcium, and it allows you to absorb more nutrients! Wow, why aren’t we drinking this stuff? Not everyone likes the taste of this alternative milk, which is the only reason it’s lower on the list; that and several customers complained of a gritty texture. Although, this option does come in vanilla and those with cow milk allergy, may be able to use this viable protein option.
Mix two heaping tablespoons with liquid and shake well to drink. You can add it to smoothies, yogurt, hot cereals, or even baked goods. The powder is even partially predigested with a fermentation process to make it the easiest to digest protein powder, and it comes with beneficial probiotics and enzymes too to improve your gut health. All with a very short ingredient list of goat milk protein, fermented goat milk protein, natural vanilla flavor, and probiotic cultures.
What you don’t get are pesticides, GMOs, or antibiotics, just milk protein from grass-fed goats. It also offers 13 grams of protein for 26 percent of your daily needs. The powder is also high in calcium with no added sugars and very little cholesterol. Get a full dose of all of the amino acids you need with this formula too!
- Caprotein is easy to digest as it is made from goat milk that has been fermented with probiotics
- This delicious vanilla protein powder is made from goat milk that contains no antibiotics or growth hormones
- Caprotein is high in amino acids and is a complete protein source
- Caprotein provides a natural combination of whey protein and casein protein. No cow casein!
- Great for mixing in smoothies
The MUSCLE FEAST Grass-Fed Micellar Casein powder offers a natural formula ready to help your muscles recover overnight. Pick from three flavors, including vanilla, chocolate, or unflavored and add it to baked goods, liquids, or smoothies to get 19 grams of protein a day. Also, it’s from grass-fed cows for the best possible nutrient profile.
Furthermore, the product is soy-free, kosher, keto-friendly, and ready to keep you healthy with natural ingredients. It also has 18 essential and non-essential amino-acids that slow release to turn your body into a lean, mean protein machine. The supplement is free of hormones, too, so you get the best quality.
Inside the supplement, you get micellar casein, cocoa, sunflower lecithin, and stevia. One container holds 37 servings if you use one level scoop per serving. It’s also GMO and gluten-free for superior quality. Lastly, it’s lower on the list because some customers aren’t impressed with the flavor because it’s too sweet or grainy.
- SOY FREE: We only use Sunflower Lecithin in our micellar casein.
- STEVIA SWEETENED: We do not add sugar or artificial sweeteners to our micellar casein.
- KOSHER CERTIFIED: This product has been tested and approved to be a kosher dairy product by the Orthodox Union (OU-D).
- KETO FRIENDLY: The low-carb content of Muscle Feast's Micellar Casein makes it the perfect protein for those on a keto diet!
- LABELS MAY VARY: This product was recently certified by the American Vegetarian Association to be Vegetarian. We are updating our labels to reflect this information. You may receive a label without the badge; however, the ingredients have been approved by the American Vegetarian Association.
Buying Guide for Casein Protein
Find the right casein supplement to suit your needs, but first, learn about the benefits and side effects. Also, get answers to some of your questions too.
Casein protein is a source of long-lasting amino acids that are easy to digest. Like whey, casein comes from milk, but it’s slower to release, which allows your body to spread out the amino acids over a longer period of time to help your body recover from strenuous workouts. It can also help your body build muscle faster by preserving lean muscle tissue.
Continuing on, casein has a complete set of essential amino acids, unlike plant-based proteins. This is why companies dehydrate parts of milk to make a supplement. Furthermore, anyone can benefit from the supplement, not just bodybuilders or athletes. Most athletes and bodybuilders use whey protein to build muscle because of its fast-acting for extra energy.
The main benefit of casein is the slow-releasing amino acids to help build muscle mass and its ability to prevent muscle-wasting, but it has other benefits too. It can also act as a meal replacement or bedtime snack. Moreover, the protein can curb your appetite to help you lose weight.
Also, each amino acid has a different effect and help with vital bodily processes. Essential amino acids cannot be made by the body, and you must eat them in order to get your daily supply. Some of these play important roles in your mood and brain as they are precursors to neurotransmitters, while others affect your metabolism. Casein offers 18 of the amino acids, including essential and non-essential, to help level out practically every aspect of your body!
Last of all, some studies have shown that casein protein may be able to reduce free radicals and lower triglyceride levels, which could help your cholesterol. It can also act as an antibacterial with immunity benefits too that can reduce high blood pressure.
As casein comes from milk, the first side effect is for those with lactose or dairy problems. People who cannot have milk need to avoid both casein and whey protein powders. As a matter of fact, cow’s milk contains more than 20 different allergens, which is why we added a goat’s milk casein option to our list. Healthy individuals without milk allergies very rarely experience complications from casein protein.
Also, goats milk offers the preferable A2 casein, which is usually only found in Jersey and Guernsey cows. Meanwhile, most cows offer A1 casein, which is more likely to have allergens and has the least ill-effect on the body. Finally, while not a side effect, you should look for organic and grass-fed cow casein when possible for the densest nutrient content.
Whey vs Casein
Watch this video to see how these two types of protein stack up against each other:
Questions About Casein Protein Powder
Can casein protein hurt my kidneys?
No. While a myth has spread that too much protein can harm your kidneys, it’s based on people with kidney problems. People who are completely healthy do not need to worry about consuming high doses of amino acids or proteins. Creatinine tends to be stronger in those eating a high protein diet, but when it’s from a natural source, your body is more than capable of handling the acid.
Will casein make me bulky?
Casein protein does not cause bulkiness – lifting weights makes your muscles huge, not the food you eat. What the protein does is helps your muscles to recover from your workouts faster. If you work out a lot on a low protein diet, then your muscles will not be in as good of shape. Think of protein as a salve you put on when you get a cut. It helps to fix the problem faster.
When is the best time of day to take casein protein?
You can eat casein protein any time of day but the best time is at nice because it’s slow acting. If you want to reduce your hunger, you can take it during the day to decrease your appetite. Think of casein as an overnight IV drip of amino acids for your body to speed up healing from a strenuous workout after your body is done moving for the day.
Our favorite casein supplement is the Naked Casein – 5LB 100% Micellar Casein Protein Powder because it contains a single ingredient ready to help your muscles recover. The giant five pounds container offers pure casein without any unnecessary fillers with a two and a half month supply making it a bargain price. Treat your muscles and your appetite with a chocolate-flavored supplement ready to improve your body with amino acids.