The Top 7 Krill Oil Supplements Reviewed
Krill oil has the potential to help you lose weight, improve your skin, and your brain. The oil’s great power comes from the high omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidant content. While the oil may not sound appetizing, it’s a safe and healthy alternative to fish oil with tons of benefits.
Not only is krill oily more bioavailable, but it’s also more sustainable, and less contaminated with mercury or other heavy metals. While you may not want to sup on a plate full of crustacean-like fish, you can get the benefits from an easy to swallow pill. You can gain all the benefits without killing your budget.
Find out all the benefits of krill oil and see our seven favorite options too. Most of the krill oil supplements are very similar with the same coordinating ingredients but with something about each that stands out after thorough research. Stay on after and get some questions answered too.
The Best Krill Oil Supplements
Jocko may sound like the name of a walrus, but it’s actually the name of a krill oil supplement. The Jocko Super Krill Oil – 1000mg Pure Antarctic Krill supplement offers a superior formula ready to deliver omega-3 fatty acids. Moreover, you won’t be burping up fish smells as it has some vanilla added to improve the experience of both swallowing the gel pills and prevent fish breath too.
Get pure, wild-caught antarctic krill filled with omega 3 fatty acids like DHA and EPA. These are substances the human body doesn’t produce on their own. Also, the pills contain phospholipids and a super-antioxidant called astaxanthin not found in regular fish oil supplements. All these can work to provide you better brain function to fight age-related decline. The pills also help with heart health and act as a powerful anti-inflammatory to decrease pain and increase mobility.
Inside the bottle, you will find soft-gel pills with 1,000 mg of krill oil that provides omega 3, EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) along with phospholipids and esterified astaxanthin. The inactive ingredients include gelatin, glycerin, purified water, and ethyl vanillin for flavor.
One bottle contains a month supply or 60 soft-gel caps as you only need to take two pills once a day. Moreover, the pills are made by a former Navy Seal Commander named Jocko Willink to help make people stronger with five times more potency. The pills are made with the highest-quality in a GMP and FDA compliant facility. Get healthy with the right supplement now.
- PURE: Our wild caught Antarctic Krill contains essential Omega 3 fatty acids like DHA and EPA that your body can’t produce on its own, as well as phospholipids and the important super-antioxidant, astaxanthin that aren’t found in traditional fish oil.
- BRAIN: Higher than average phospholipids means more bang for your buck. These key lipids are important for fighting age related cognitive decline.*
- HEART: Now well known for their amazing ability to support heart health, the Omega 3’s in Superkrill can be found at higher concentrations than typical alternatives. Working in synergy with Phospholipids the Omega’s in Krill are more absorbable than those of fish oil.*
- JOINTS: Krill oils powerful anti-inflammatory effects can help decrease joint pain while increasing mobility.*
- NO MORE FISH BURPS: Superkrill uses vanilla to give you a more pleasant experience. A sweet smell with an easy to swallow soft gel.
Another great option for your daily source of krill oils is the Alaya Naturals – Antarctic Krill Oil 500mg Supplement. It’s more affordable than the option above with sustainably sourced krill oil from the Antarctic clear waters far away from industrial fishing area. Get a healthy dose of omega fatty acids with a smaller amount than the above option.
While you get essentially the same ingredient list, it does come with some differences. For one, the supplement only offers 500 mg of krill oil per dose along with significantly smaller amounts of phospholipids, EPA, DHA, and Astaxanthin. The inactive ingredients include gelatin, glycerin, purified water, and ethyl vanillin.
Next, the pills do not have a fishy aftertaste; they absorb easily and offer tons of benefits. With this bottle, you get a two month supply from sixty pills as you only need to take one pill per day according to the label. If for any reason, you don’t love the pills, you can get a one hundred percent refund.
Finally, the pills are lab-tested, GMP, GMO-free, and PCB tested for high-quality. As a matter of fact, each batch is independently tested for quality and safety. You can improve your brain, eye, joint, and cardiovascular health affordably and with no risks at all. All this and no mermaid breath either!
- SUSTAINABLY SOURCED FROM PRISTINE WATERS - 500mg softgel of 100% Pure Antarctic Krill Oil - harvested in Antarctica’s clear waters, away from industrial fishing areas.
- POTENT AND ABUNDANT SOURCE OF OMEGA 3’S - Krill Oil’s naturally occurring phospholipid forms of EPA, DHA, and its powerful antioxidant Astaxanthin are easier to digest and more easily absorbed by the body than those from other fish oils.
- NO FISHY AFTERTASTE - A hint of vanilla, rather than that usual fishy taste is what you can expect from our Krill Oil.
- HIGH QUALITY, PCB TESTED - Our Krill Oil is PCB tested (polychlorinated biphenyls, man-made chemicals), and all batches are independently tested to ensure quality and safety.
- RISK FREE - As with all Alaya Naturals products, shop with confidence knowing that your order is always backed by a 100% money-back guarantee if you're not satisfied.
If you want pure get the Pure Antarctic Krill Oil Supplement by Purity Labs. Why pick them? Because they offer a one-year empty bottle guarantee. If you don’t love the supplement, you are at no risk for the already low price. You can also bundle the bottles to save money or get several months supply for less money.
The high-quality krill oil also offers an omega 3 antioxidant blend and a very high dosage of 2,000 mg of krill oil. Furthermore, the pills also offer a great range of omega-3, EPA, DHA, omega-6, phospholipids, astaxanthin, and beta carotene (vitamin A). What you don’t get are artificial flavors or colors, magnesium stearate, chemicals, GMOs, preservatives, gluten, lactose, soy, or any other allergens. The only inactive ingredients include gelatin, glycerol, and water.
Did you see the two additions? This supplement offers not just omega-3 but also omega-6 to help with blood pressure, ADHD, bone health, and heart health. Moreover, the supplement added in beta carotene for color and added antioxidants along with several other benefits. The antioxidant booster makes this a go-to option along with third party testing from a GMP facility.
Take this supplement for a massive dose of krill to help support your heart, cognition, mood, skin, weight, and joints. All this from a brand determined to be ocean-friendly with high Norwegian standards. Take up to two pills a day for one to two month supply. Do keep the pills in a cool place as they can melt from heat. Also, the pills are lower on our list because a few customers had issues with the taste.
- ✅ TRY RISK FREE - 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: FEEL GREAT OR YOUR MONEY BACK!! EVERY PURCHASE IS BACKED BY OUR 1 YEAR EMPTY BOTTLE GUARANTEE - If you are NOT FULLY SATISFIED for any reason we will refund your money no questions asked.
- ✅HIGHEST QUALITY KRILL OIL + OMEGA 3 ANTIOXIDANT BLEND: Our product delivers 2,000mg Per Serving of Pure, High Quality, 100% purified, gluten-free, solvent-free and GMO-Free Krill Oil pills. Each batch is independently tested to ensure quality and safety. Which Supports heart, brain, joint and overall well-being. Our complex contains 800mcg antioxidant Astaxanthin that provides essential nutrients for the skin, eyes, and cells.
- ✅ INCREASED ANTIOXIDANT PROPERTIES: Antarctic krill oil gelcaps also contains a Carotenoid Antioxidant called Astaxanthin. Antioxidants like Astaxanthin are known to inhibit and neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances in body tissues that may lead in degeneration and disease.
- ✅ PREMIUM BLEND: 2,000mg of Maximum Strength K*REAL Krill Oil Enhanced with 400mg Phospholipids and 800mcg of Astaxanthin per Serving. K*REAL Krill Oil utilizes a gentle and immediate on-board process to ensure the absolute minimal oxidation and lipid degradation to maximize bioavailability.
- ✅ MOST EFFICIENCY SUPPLEMENTS: Our Krill Oil blend supports skin, hair and eyes. 100% Pure dietary supplement support improved joint mobility, heart and brain functions, normal cognitive function, energy levels, balanced hormone production and good cardiovascular functions as well as aid in the absorption of all the vital nutrients.
Dr. Mercola is a health activist and alternative medicine fan. His brand offers the Dr. Mercola Antarctic Krill Oil because if offers important nutrients your body can get on their own. Each bottle contains a month supply of Antarctic krill oil along with omega-3s bound to phospholipids. The doctor recommends you use the supplement to improve your heart, joint, and immune function.
The active ingredients are very similar with 1,000 mg of Krill oil, including phospholipids, EPA, and DHA. However, the change comes with organic astaxanthin and the inactive ingredients. With gelatin capsules, organic olive oil, and organic rosemary leaf extract, you get as much organic as is available from the Antarctic.
The bottle comes with 60 pills, and you need to take two pills a day. Furthermore, the pills are harvested with full MSC certification for friendly sea ethics. Also, you can get a full 90-day money-back guarantee if you don’t love the supplement. Also, the supplement promises to help fight aging, menstrual cramps, free radicals, and help keep your heart healthy. Finally, a few customers showed concern that the pills have a nasty smell and might even have tilapia.
- Each Bottle of Krill Oil Contains 30 Servings
- Following Dr. Mercola’s belief in providing the best quality products, this product is Gluten Free and Soy Free.
- Supports a healthy heart, overall joint comfort and immune function
- MSC certification and auditing ensures harvesting to manufacturing adheres to MSC’s chain of custody standard. Krill are harvested in a sustainable way that also ensures no non krill species is captured
- All Dr. Mercola products are backed by a full 90-day money back guarantee. If for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, simply return it to us for your money back - no questions asked.
If you are looking for a natural supplement, look no further than the Sports Research Krill Oil 500mg with Astaxanthin. The supplement offers a marine lipid concentrate to deliver sustainably sourced krill oil to help your whole body health.
Sports Research promises the most bioavailable option of omega-3 than other brands with unique chemical characteristics so the pills can absorb into your intestines better. You can improve your heart, joints, skin, and cognitive health, thanks to this award-winning supplement. Also, the brand offers buy more and save more if you want to stock up and save some hard-earned cash.
Take one or more of the capsules per day to get 500 mg of krill oil, plus healthy doses of astaxanthin, omega-3, EPA, DHA, and phospholipids. As for inactive ingredients, you will only find the gelatin capsules, glycerin, and water. The soft-gel caps are made in a GMP and FDA approved facility. All without gluten, soy, fillers, or binders.
To make the pills even better, the brand donates a portion of each sale to help provide nutritional support to mothers and children in at-risk populations. People who care about the environment and others can’t go wrong with this fabulous supplement. The only issue is a single bottle only contains 30 pills, so if you take more than one a day of the smaller dose, then you won’t even get a month supply.
- ✔ Smaller Capsule: Contains 500 mg of substainably sourced Antarctic Krill oil per Softgel.
- ✔ NEW Advance Formula: Made with Superba2 Krill Oil, a new advance formula clinically proven to increase omega-3 fatty acid levels in the body*.
- ✔ Less Krill smell with No Aftertaste: The new Superba2 has substantially reduced the Krill smell. The phospholipid-bound omega-3 fatty acids are water dispersible, making them easier to digest than fish oil. Goodbye gross, fishy aftertaste!
- ✔ Sustainably Sourced: Superba Krill is sustainably harvested and 100% traceable from sea to shelf. Certified by the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) and IKOS 5 star certified Krill Oil
- ✔ Money Back Guarantee: If you’re not thrilled with our product, let us know within 90 days and receive a prompt and courteous refund. We stand behind our formula!+
With the ONNIT Antarctic Krill Oil Supplement, you get pills ready to improve your joints, brain, heart, and even your blood pressure. It’s also free of fishy smells and tastes. The oil is sustainably sourced from pristine Antarctic waters far from industrial contaminations. Also, the pills are easy to swallow than most overly large fish oil supplements.
Like the other supplements on this list, this one offers 1,000 mg of krill oil, but it comes with slightly higher doses of phospholipids, omega-3s in the form of EPA, and DHA along with astaxanthin. For inactive ingredients, you get gelatin, ethyl vanillin, glycerin, and purified water. Thanks to the vanilla, you get an improved experience. You don’t get gluten, soy, or GMOs, which definitely makes this a healthy contender.
Take two soft-gel caps with food per day. The company recommends you not take more than the recommended dosage in a single day without your doctor’s approval. Furthermore, a single bottle will provide you a one month supply of krill oil. Also, the bottles have the manufacturing date stamped on each bottle, so you know exactly when it was made, and they are good for two years after the manufacturing date.
- NO FISHY TASTE, SMELL, OR BURPS - Krill oil provides all the benefits of fish oil and more, without the dreaded fishy aftertaste.
- PACKED WITH OMEGA-3s, ASTAXANTHIN, EPA, DHA AND PHOSPHOLIPIDS - Each serving contains 1000mg of Krill Oil, 400mg Phospholipids, 240 mg Omega-3 Fatty Acids, 130mg EPA, 60mg DHA and 150mcg Astaxanthin.
- SMALL, EASY-TO-SWALLOW CAPSULES - Onnit krill oil softgels are easier to take than bulky fish oil capsules.
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY JOINTS, BRAIN, HEART AND BLOOD PRESSURE - Krill oil has been studied to support cognitive, cellular, cardiovascular and joint Health.
- SUSTAINABLY SOURCED FROM PRISTINE ANTARCTIC WATERS - Onnit krill is harvested from the pristine waters of the Antarctic – far from industrial contamination.
For those on a budget, you need the Nutricost Krill Oil 1000mg Supplement because it’s the most affordable option by a notable brand. The supplement offers high-quality and everything you are looking for without breaking the bank. Customers love the supplement too, with only a few complaints from a low number of people like some didn’t tolerate the smell or the taste.
With this supplement, you get 1,000 mg of krill oil along with healthy doses of omega-3 fatty acids in the form of EPA and DHA. As with the vast majority of krill oil supplements, it also includes phospholipids and astaxanthin. The only inactive ingredients include gelatin, glycerin, and purified water. What you don’t get are GMOs or gluten.
Finally, the products are quality assured, GMP compliant, and 3rd party tested. The high potency is ready to improve your health and give you the omega-3’s you can’t make in your body. A single bottle contains 60 soft-gel capsules per bottle for a one month supply as you need to take two pills per day with a full glass of water or as directed by a physician.
- High Potency Krill Oil Capsules: 1000mg Per Serving
- High-Quality, Easy To Take Softgels
- Krill Oil Is High in EPA/DHA Fats
- Contains Omega-3 EPA and DHA Essential Fatty Acids, Two Crucial Omega-3s
- Made in a GMP Compliant, FDA Registered Facility
Buying Guide for Krill Oil Supplements
Take a look at some important information about krill oil before making your final choice. Also, get some answers to your question and find out what symptoms to look for. Some people should avoid this supplement completely.
Ingredients & Benefits
The main ingredient in krill oil supplements is, of course, krill! What makes this such a powerful oil is it can help you in so many ways. Let’s discuss what krill oil is – it’s a shrimp-like crustacean found in the southern ocean.
While krill is at the bottom of the food chain, it feeds on healthy stuff like phytoplankton and algae. Moreover, it has highly concentrated amounts of omega-3 fatty acids, and it also contains astaxanthin, which we will get to below. First, let’s review all of the benefits of krill.
Krill fights inflammation by protecting your body from foreign invaders. Many believe that most illnesses and diseases stem from inflammation, so this is no small prize. It’s the omega-3 fatty acids in the form of DHA and EPA that offer anti-inflammatory properties.
Next, krill oil can improve your hearth healthy by dropping cholesterol levels. It can also help to keep your skin glowing by treating skin problems like acne and dermatitis. Your brain also benefits from fatty acids by helping to combat depression, anxiety, along with cognitive decline. It may even help to treat ADHD, bipolar disorder, and even schizophrenia.
Moreover, the supplement can support strong bones and joints, including conditions like osteoporosis and arthritis. Again, it’s the omega-3’s responsible for these benefits along with helping to reduce cancer risk too. Lastly, krill oil can help you to lose weight by reducing your appetite, increasing your metabolism, and jumpstarting fat burning.
Astaxanthin is another ingredient in krill oil known as a carotenoid or natural pigment in many kinds of seafood. It also has the same benefits as krill oil to improve your brain, skin, and inflammation but also helps to enhance workouts, boost male fertility, and keep your eyes healthy.
For more information about the benefits of krill oil, watch this video:
One issue with the omega-3 fatty acids found in krill oil is it can slow down blood clotting. If you are taking any blood thinners like warfarin, then you need to talk to your doctor before taking any supplement with omega fatty acids. Also, talk to your physician if you are planning surgery soon as you may need to lay off the supplement a couple of weeks ahead of time.
The biggest concern for allergy is for those who are allergic to any form of crustacean or seafood. Again, talk to your doctor before taking this or any sea-based supplement. If you have allergic symptoms like abdominal pain, swelling, itching, or hives, then you need to stop taking the supplement immediately and seek medical care.
As for side effects, some people experience heartburn, nausea, indigestion, stomach pain, belching, and a fishy taste or aftertaste. These symptoms usually decrease with time. To minimize symptoms, start with a lower dose and gradually up the amount of krill oil.
Questions About Krill Oil
Is krill oil better than fish oil?
Both krill and fish oil are high in omega-3 fatty acids with EPA and DHA with all the same health benefits. What makes krill oil better is it’s easier to absorb into your body, and the pills are often much smaller, meaning you can swallow them easier. While both are comparable, krill is more bioavailable than fish oil, and it comes with astaxanthin making it all the better. Lastly, krill oil has lower levels of mercury and heavy metals compared to fish oil and is more sustainable too!
Who shouldn’t take krill oil supplements?
Pregnant women should speak to their doctor before taking fish oil as should those on blood thinners. Also, those who are vegetarian or vegan man not want to take this supplement as it’s animal-based.
How long does krill oil stay in my body?
You will be happy to know that the active component of krill oil – omega-3 fatty acids – can stay in your body for one to three days. This is why you can only take the supplement once a day or less if you prefer. If you miss a pill, you don’t have to worry either.
If you still can’t decide what krill oil supplement to try, start with the Jocko Super Krill Oil – 1000mg Pure Antarctic Krill. It offers quality doses of krill oil to help you get the full benefits without the side effects. Any of the options you chose will help your brain, heart, joints, and inflammation problems. It’s also a great addition to your daily diet if you are trying to lose weight and improve your skin.