The Top 7 GABA Supplements Reviewed
If you are searching for a supplement to help fight anxiety and insomnia, you have come to the right place. Why? Because GABA is a neurotransmitter ready to reduce sleep and stress issues. As a matter of fact, the vast majorities geared toward fighting anxiety and insomnia work by increasing your GABA levels.
Let’s cut out the middleman and get straight to the source. However, GABA supplements have conflicting studies about whether it breaks the blood-brain barrier, and if so, how much of the supplement does your body get. Either way, you can still benefit from this neurotransmitter in other areas of your body, too, and start sleeping better with less anxiousness.
Find out not just the seven best supplements available with all the best ingredients without creepy additives. Also, keep reading to find out what two supplements you should take with GABA to see dramatic improvements in your life. We did all the work, and you get all the benefits with affordable, top-quality supplements.
The Best GABA Supplements
While the name of the first supplement doesn’t make a lot of sense, it offers the best option to help you with anxiety, depression, and so much more. How? Because it sports not just GABA, but also it’s soulmate L-theanine. The two work together like peanut butter and jelly to improve your life.
The dosage of GABA’s is a little low as you only get 550 mg from two capsules, but you also get 200mg of L-theanine. If you don’t know what L-theanine is, it’s an amino acid that impacts nerve impulses in the brain. Moreover, it releases neurotransmitters – including GABA, into your brain. That’s right! With this dynamic duo of ingredients, you get a double dose of GABA.
As for inactive ingredients, the only three on the list are hydroxypropyl methylcellulose,
microcrystalline cellulose, and L-leucine, all of which are safe for consumption and help to stabilize the pills. The pills are also gluten-free and vegan with hypoallergenic and natural ingredients.
The Allergy Research Group is dedicated to unique and innovative products, and third-party testing all from a GMP and FDA approved facility. While the price is high, you get 180 pills for a three month supply making it far more affordable. Finally, 65% of the world experiences stress, and you can help to reduce yours with this advanced formula.
- ✅ BEST SELLER SINCE 2001: The simple, yet effective formula has proven wildly successful since first introduced in 2001.
- ✅ L-THEANINE WITHOUT THE CAFFEINE: Instead of drinking 20 cups of green tea, take just 1 capsules of 200 mg Zen for an equivalent amount of l-theanine. But because of the unique, patented formulation, ZEN Capsules have no caffeine.
- ✅ ALPHA BRAIN WAVE SUPPORT: Suntheanine's patented form of L-theanine has been shown in human clinical trials to support the production of alpha-wave activity in the brain.*
- ✅ NATURAL RELAXATION WITHOUT DROWSINESS: Allergy Research Group designed 200mg of ZEN to promote relaxation without drowsiness.
- ✅ INCREASED EFFECTIVENESS: Each capsule also includes GABA for increased benefits.
For the ultimate value, you can get an entire year of GABA from a brand dedicated to improving your life. With the Natural Source GABA by Pure Organic Ingredients, you can calm your mind, relieve stress, and get healthy sleep. Even better, the brand doesn’t use any of the ingredients you don’t want, making this an insane value.
First, the pill includes a whopping dose of 850 mg of GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) over the span of two capsules. The only other ingredient is the gelatin capsules. What you don’t get are GMOs, gluten, stearates, rice fillers, or any other fillers of any kind, just 365 days worth of capsule to give you a positive outlook on life. Also, the pills are vegetarian, making them safe for almost anyone with doctor’s approval.
Moreover, the pills are made in Utah by a bunch of health fanatics who will give you your money back if you don’t love their supplement. Do remember to take the pills on an empty stomach once a day with a full glass of water. The massive container holding the pills is clear and should be stored in a cool dark place to help keep your one year supply safe.
- PURE GABA CAPSULES Naturally Promote a Positive Mood, & a Relaxed State of Mind
- 730 CAPSULES: 1-Year Supply. 2X More Than Other Top Sellers. 850 Mg/Serving. (Seriously, check out their labels)
- NO STEARATES OR RICE FILLERS Unlike our Competition, We Don’t Use Fillers
- MADE IN THE USA by a Bunch of Health Fanatics in Utah. Gluten-Free
- LOVE IT OR IT’S FREE! We offer a HASSLE-FREE, 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. Buy & Try with confidence
Some people prefer to add their supplements to their food in the form of powder. With the BulkSupplements GABA (Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid) Powder, you can add GABA to your smoothie, oatmeal, juice, or anything else you like. Also, you can pick the size you want to have enough powder for a week, a month, or even a year!
Bulk Supplements doesn’t use any additives at all. No stearates, sugar, soy, yeast, dairy, or gluten. Each serving gives you 750 mg of GABA straight. Add a fourth of a teaspoon of powder to the food or drink of your choice. It’s best to take the supplement on an empty stomach.
Get all the benefits of GABA, including improved mood, mental wellness, and healthy sleep. GABA can also support focus, healthy skin, and overall wellness. Help your cells to perform better on your terms as you can add as little or as much as you like for a tailored supplement experience.
You also get a natural anti-inflammatory to help you with pain management too. All this from an FDA and GMP facility committed to third party testing. Lastly, the brand also offers vegetarian or gelatin capsules if you love this brand but don’t want a powder.
- Clean & Pure Powder. No Fillers.
- Factory Sealed Foil Zip Pouch.
- Lab Tested for Verification & Guaranteed Purity.
- Controlling Nerve Impulses in Nervous System.
- Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Treatment & Pain Reliever
With Superior Labs – GABA Supplement 750mg, you get 100 percent pure GABA to help reduce anxiety, stress, mood, and cravings. Get natural relief from life with natural improved brain function to balance mood and give you a better life. Even better, the supplement uses organic ingredients!
Inside you will find a massive dose of 750 mg of GABA with only two inactive ingredients including organic rice concentrate, and plant cellulose for the vegetable capsules. No magnesium stearate, dioxides, fillers, preservatives, or additives. It’s also safe from heavy metals, allergens, and pesticides. They take the time to make their products right with rigorous testing for 100 percent contaminant-free supplements.
Take two capsules in the afternoon between meals for the best effect. You get a potent, pure, and safe supplement manufactured in an NSF certified facility in America. If you don’t love the supplement, you can get a full refund in as little as two days! A few customers didn’t see a difference from the supplement, but this is normal as everyone’s body reacts differently to different substances.
- MOOD SUPPORT - All-natural supplement supports healthy cortisol levels for better sleep and positive mood. Naturally supports calming of nervous tension and stress, improves mood, and helps end sugar cravings.
- ABSOLUTE PURITY - ZERO SYNTHETIC ADDITIVES, FILLERS, HEAVY METALS, MICROS - You will never see unnecessary additives such as stearates, dioxides, glycerides or fillers other brands use to make manufacturing cheaper, faster and easier. In addition, we put all ingredients and products through rigorous testing to make sure they are 100% free of contaminants.
- UNQUESTIONABLE QUALITY - ALL PRODUCTS PRODUCED IN 3rd PARTY CERTIFIED NSF FACILITIES - Few can pass the stringent standards of NSF. Our products are produced in facilities that have been 3rd party audited and certified for quality by NSF, one of the most stringent quality manufacturing assurance organizations in the industry.
- ZERO UNNATURAL INGREDIENTS - Our product contains NO unnatural ingredients such as magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide, titanium dioxide and other potentially harmful unnatural ingredients that are commonly found in other brands.
- NO RISK AND NO HASSLE - For almost a decade, we have been delighting Amazon customers. If you are not satisfied with the benefits, results, or are unsatisfied with the product in any other way, please contact us and we'll gladly refund your money in 48 hours or less. That's it - no questions, no hassle, no risk.
Buy your GABA supplement from a brand ready to deliver support for healthy brain nerve function with the Integrative Therapeutics – GABA Supplement. Get clinician-developed nutritional supplements with over 35 years of offering premium ingredients with research from trusted physicians.
The only active ingredient on the list is 750 mg of GABA. However, it has a few inactive ingredients, which is why it’s lower on the list. As for inactive ingredients, you get vegetable capsules from hydroxypropyl methylcellulose and magnesium stearate. Both are safe but not really necessary for the stability of the pill. Although the pills are free of sugar, salt, yeast, gluten, soy, corn, dairy, artificial colors or flavors, or preservatives.
However, you only need to take a single capsule a day for a two month supply or twice a day for a one month supply. The vegan pills are a safe way to get a dose of amino acids ready to act as a calming agent and offer neuro-chemical balance for mood and sleep.
- GABA supplementation supports healthy neurochemical balance, a positive mood, and restful sleep.
- An amino acid that is considered the brain's natural calming agent.
- GABA is an important amino acid neurotransmitter in the brain.
- This product contains no sugar, salt, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, soy, dairy products, artificial coloring, artificial flavoring, preservatives, ingredients of animal origin
The CalmNeeds® Easing Nervousness and Overactivity Supplement by Neuro Needs offers more than just GABA. With this supplement, you get a mixture of ingredients ready to help you sleep and relax by easing nervous tension to support a clam and positive mood. By diminishing overactive nerve conduction, this supplement can assist in serotonin production for better well-being.
With CalmsNeeds, you get a vegan formula free of all common allergens. You won’t find soy, peanuts, nuts, gluten, milk, rice, corn, fish or shellfish, egg, artificial flavors, or colors in these pills. Instead, the pills come with vitamin B-6, magnesium, 400 mg of GABA, L-theanine, and 5-HTP. Furthermore, the inactive ingredients include rice flour, vegetable stearates, and silicone dioxide.
While the inactive ingredients are safe, they aren’t necessary, which is why the list is lower on the list. However, the benefits far outweigh the minuscule ingredient issue. The expert formula is a doctor design right here in America. If you or someone you love is on pharmaceutical medication for ADHD, this might be the answer you are looking for, but the price is a little high.
Take two capsules a day for a one month supply for adults or one pill a day for children. Customize the supplement to your own specification and take before bed to help with sleep. Talk to your doctor before taking you or someone else off of a doctor recommended medication.
- Expert formula design by Doctors and Made in USA
- Promote sleep and relaxation
- VEGAN Free of all common allergens (including soy, peanuts, nuts, gluten, casein/milk, rice, corn, shellfish, fish, and egg), as well as artificial flavors and colors.
- Ease Nervous Tension- Support a Calm and Positive mood
- Diminish overactive nerve conduction and assist in serotonin production
The Thorne Research – PharmaGABA-100 Supplement offers a fabulous option to manage stress and get restful sleep. GABA offers a calming brain neurotransmitter ready to induce a more relaxing lifestyle. If you often feel overwhelmed, stressed out, and in need of a decent night’s sleep, you may need this supplement.
With 100 mg of GABA per capsule, you can better dictate how much of the supplement you consume with this low dose. Also, if you only want a low dose, this is the option for you. It does come with a few inactive ingredients, including microcrystalline cellulose, hypromellose capsules, magnesium citrate, and calcium laurate. However, the pills are free of gluten, dairy, soy, and artificial flavors.
The naturally sourced GABA comes with clinical research to outperform synthetic GABA in clinical studies. They put their pills through rounds of testing and use exceptional ingredients and manufacture products the right way. Finally, a bottle provides you with a for two weeks to two months, depending on your intake.
- NATURAL SOURCE: GABA is an important brain chemical that acts like a brake during times of runaway stress*
- CALM: Promotes a calm, relaxed, focused state of mind*
- SLEEP: Supports restful sleep*
- CLINICAL RESEARCH: Natural-source GABA outperforms synthetic GABA in clinical studies
- FREE FROM: Every Thorne product is made with the purest possible ingredients – without gluten or other major allergens (eggs, tree nuts, peanuts). This product also contains no soy, dairy, yeast, shellfish, or fish.
Buying Guide for GABA Supplements
While not many studies about GABA supplements have made their way into the world, a lot of information about GABA has made a presence. Find out everything you need to know about this neurotransmitter before making a purchase.
GABA supplements often come with a few other active ingredients to help further benefit you. Take a look at GABA benefits, followed by the uses for other active ingredients.
GABA is an amino acid and neurotransmitter that acts as a go-between messenger between the brain and the nervous system. It’s produced in the brain from glutamate with vitamin B6 as a catalyst along with an enzyme GAD (glutamate decarboxylase). The neurotransmitter’s main purpose is to reduce nerve cell activity in the nervous system.
The acid has the ability to relieve anxiety, improve sleep, and reduce depression all because of the calming effect, and often low GABA levels can be the reason for the above issues! Next, women can relieve some of their mood-related PMS symptoms with this powerful acid, including mood swings, fatigue, and food cravings.
As with all super substances, GABA has the ability to reduce inflammation that causes illnesses. GABA also helps with a focus making it exceptional for those with ADHD. Finally, GABA can help to increase levels of human growth hormone in the pituitary gland to help with muscle strength, improved body composition, and stronger bones.
For more information about how GABA works, watch this video:
Other Active Ingredients
Vitamin B6 helps your body to produce red blood cells and convert food into fuel. It boosts mood and immunity. B complex vitamins help with metabolism, nerve function, liver function, eye health, and skin health. You also need this vitamin to help with brain function, mood, healthy blood vessels, to treat anemia, reduce arthritis, lower blood pressure, regulate sleep, and prevent kidney stones. It’s easy to see why this vitamin pairs so well with GABA.
L-Theanine is an amino acid most often found in green tea. It actually releases neurotransmitters, including GABA, into your brain! The substance has a calming and sedative effect on the body, making it a perfect pair up with GABA. Not only can it help you reduce stress and anxiety but can also fight insomnia. Moreover, l-theanine improves attention, memory, brain function, and heart health.
5 HTP is another amino acid that pairs well with GABA. Your body naturally produces this acid, and it produces serotonin. Low serotonin levels lead to depression, anxiety, sleep issues, weight gain, and other issues. Normal levels help you to lose weight, fight depression, reduce migraines, and promote sleep.
Side Effects of GABA Supplements
GABA has minimal side effects as it’s something your body needs. A few people should limit or avoid its use, such as those who are pregnant or nursing because of limited studies on the fetus. It can interfere with medications for depression, anxiety, or insomnia.
High doses can lead to increase anxiety and depression, but supplements rarely cause this unless you go above the recommended dosage. Some people experience skin tingling and flushing. If you have any concerns, talk to your doctor before supplementing with GABA.
Questions About GABA Supplements
What other supplements should I take with GABA?
L-arginine is another amino acid and one of the important building blocks of protein. You can get l-arginine in your diet high in meats and dairy, but your body does not produce it on its own. Furthermore, when paired with GABA, it can naturally increase growth hormone levels and can increase the effects of GABA supplements by nearly four hundred percent!
If you only choose one other supplement to take with GABA, make it l-arginine. However, take 5 HTP and l-theanine as well for the best effects or find a supplement with all 18 amino acids. Spirulina is high in both essential and non-essential amino acids.
What foods contain GABA naturally?
A surprising number of food naturally contains GABA, and, of course, all are super healthy for you! The list includes apples, barley, beans, broccoli, brown rice, carrots, chestnuts, corn, kale, oatmeal, potatoes, onions, shiitake mushrooms, squash, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and yams. Moreover, fermented foods like kefir and yogurt can add to your GABA content as can probiotics.
Are their other ways to improve GABA?
Yes! Exercise naturally increases GABA. Yoga is actually the most proven way to boost GABA. A single hour of yoga can increase GABA levels by a whopping 27 percent, and it helps to relieve stress.
Studies on whether GABA breaks the blood-brain barrier offer conflicting results. The hope is the supplement will impact your brain, but it doesn’t leave your blood and go into the blood; you might as well be taking a placebo. Taking l-arginine can help you get more GABA, which means you should see more than just a placebo effect from the supplement.
If you take the recommended supplements, eat GABA rich foods and exercise – preferably adding yoga to your health routine – you should see a massive increase in GABA. You really can improve your mood, stress, and sleep with just a few simple changes.
Adding the Allergy Research Group, Zen 200mg Supplement, to your day can get you two of the new supplements you need in your diet for one low cost. Remember, the bottle offers you a three month supply of not one but two important amino acids. Take control of your life and start relaxing naturally and sleep better every night with a few small changes.