The Top 7 Fiber Supplements Reviewed
Many people take fiber supplements to battle constipation, but it can help you in several ways besides regularity. The right fiber supplement can even help with diarrhea, hemorrhoids, lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure and inflammation, and even lower blood sugar. Now that you know, you definitely want to add a fiber supplement to your daily diet.
Now the question is, which fiber supplement? We found the seven best options to make your life easier and save you hours of research. Most fiber supplements contain Psyllium Fiber, but a few others make the cut too, and we found them all. You should pick the fiber source by your particular needs as each fiber serves a different purpose.
Find the right supplement to help you with a multitude of issues and find out the benefits for each ingredient. Stay on after for some answers to your questions and side effects of fiber. First, let’s look at the seven best fiber options for your health and budget.
The Best Fiber Supplements
If you are looking for a psyllium husk daily fiber supplement, you need the Konsyl – Original Formula – Psyllium Husk Powder. It’s a fabulous one hundred percent natural and soluble fiber source. The supplement can help you to start eliminating your bowels more regularly for better digestive health.
What’s truly beautiful about this supplement is that it’s natural and contains no sugar, GMOs, or gluten. All you get in the container is straight-up psyllium hydrophilic mucilloid (husks). That’s it, and it gives you twenty percent of your daily fiber needs from six grams of fiber along with six percent of your iron needs too.
Add one to three teaspoons of the fiber powder to the liquid of your choice and drink. Follow with extra liquid after to help aid the product’s ability to work. Next, take it at any time of day with or without food. Even better, the supplement comes in a three-pack for up to a six month supply of fiber. Now you can get regular without any additives.
- 100% NATURAL & SOLUBLE FIBER: Psyllium Husk is a source of fiber. Psyllium Husk fiber has been shown to help support regularity, and digestive health as part of your healthy diet
- INDICATIONS & USAGE: For relief of occasional constipation and aid in regularity. GLUTEN FREE, SUGAR-FREE & ASPARTAME FREE. No fillers, by-products, or preservatives
- CONTAINS MORE FIBER PER TEASPOON THAN OTHER LEADING BRANDS
For a boost of regularity, get the GoBiotix Prebiotic Fiber Boost Powder. First, it’s an organic and plant-based way to get healthy gut bacteria support. Second, it comes with tasteless prebiotics so you can add it to your diet without worrying about flavors you don’t like. All this works to provide you with optimal digestive function by improving your digestive and immune systems, regulates blood sugar, increases energy, and relieves constipation and irritable bowel symptoms.
What’s inside? Just the fancy prebiotic NutraFlora fructooligosaccharides. From this, you get 5,000 mg of fiber without sugars. That’s it! No additional ingredients just insoluble fiber ready to help your belly stay healthy with a colony of good bacteria.
Next, you can add the fiber to anything you like, such as blend it into a smoothie, mix it into food, shake it in milk, or stir it into a cup of coffee. It’s clear, tasteless, and free of sugars. The best part is it adds into any diet or lifestyle, and its from a GMP certified facility here in America.
Finally, the supplement can help reduce bloating, accelerate metabolism, and improve digestive tract health. A single container contains thirty-five servings for just over a month’s supply. Simply add a scoop to the liquid or food of your choice and enjoy better health.
Another great source of fiber is barley grass like the KOS Organic Barley Grass Powder. What’s more, this supplement also offers antioxidants and anti-inflammatories along with the high fiber content. It also has the neurotransmitter GABA to aid in brain function along with offering liver support and reducing oxidative stress.
Another great aspect of barley grass juice powder is its proven to level out blood sugar levels to even help with diabetes. Also, the powder doesn’t have any other ingredients besides organic barley grass powder. Moreover, barley is the fourth most consumed cereal crop in the world because of its massive fiber content, as it has more fiber than wheatgrass!
The insoluble dietary fiber decreases constipation by stimulating the gut tract and moving everything in the right direction. Mix one scoop of powder into a smoothie or liquid of your choice to gain the benefits. A single, affordable container offers 118 servings to keep you going for longer.
- REDUCE THAT GLUCOSE: Barley grass juice powder's dietary fiber has been shown to significantly reduce—in the process of fasting—blood sugar and blood glucose levels.
- JUICE FROM THE RAW: Barley green juice is used in traditional medicine cultures to address various heath complications. The potent little shoot is also a superstar antioxidant and anti-inflammatory.
- MO' FIBER LESS PROBLEMS...WE HOPE: Barley Grass may be the fourth most consumed cereal crop in the world— but it is the # 1 cereal crop in terms of fiber content (yes, even more than wheatgrass powder). Wheatgrass juice better watch out!
- REAL GOOD VIBES: Barley Grass is known to contain a lil' something called GABA (Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid..if you can imagine), a neurotransmitter associated with brain function and a sense of well-being.
- CLEAN THE PIPES: Barley Grass' water-insoluble dietary fiber helpfully increases fecal volume, stimulating the gut tract and moving things along. Also wildly effective in the treatment of intestinal issues if you know what we mean.
If you want a liquid fiber option, then you need the Nature’s Way Alive! Liquid Fiber Sugar-Free w/Prebiotics. The supplement offers a tasty way to help you get soluble vegetable fiber. Moreover, the blend only requires you to pour and drink without any mess or hassle.
The impressive ingredient list includes four grams of vegetable fiber from resistant dextrin along with one gram of NutraFlora fructooligosaccharides – a prebiotic carb full of fiber. It also includes a large dose of vegetables, including oranges, blueberry, carrot, pomegranate, broccoli, spinach, tomato, and more! As for inactive ingredients, this supplement has decent options to make the supplement palatable, including water, natural flavors, citric acid, potassium sorbate, malic acid, stevia, and xanthan gum.
Simply take one tablespoon of the supplement a day after shaking. You can double the dose to get a full ten grams of fiber a day. Do not take more than twice a day. Even better, the dual blend helps to create healthy intestinal microflora. All this, you don’t get any artificial coloring, flavoring, dairy, eggs, gluten, soy, sugar, wheat, or yeast.
Lastly, the product can cause some digestive discomfort. If this happens, start with a smaller dose and work your way up. The small price bottle comes in at a super low price, ready to easily fit into your diet. Pick from citrus or berry flavor.
- Vegetarian; gluten free, five grams of fiber made easy and simple; just pour and drink, no mixing, no hassle, no mess, small, potent dose of soluble, vegetable fiber.
- Dual-action blend; soluble vegetable fiber for digestive health and NutraFlora scFOS prebiotic fiber for healthy intestinal microflora.
- Includes 100 mg of our orchard fruits blend fruit powders; pomegranate seed, plum, pear, apple, strawberry, açaí extract whole palm fruit, grape juice, cranberry, cherry, blueberry, apricot, papaya, orange and pineapple.
- Five grams of fiber and only 10 calories per tablespoon, sugar-free, sweetened with Stevia.
- No artificial coloring, flavoring, dairy products, eggs, gluten, soy, sugar, wheat, yeast.
Get a dose of Garden of Life Super Seed – Vegetarian Whole Food Fiber Supplement and end constipation for good. The supplement comes with both soluble and insoluble fiber to help you get the best of both worlds. Furthermore, it offers whole food vegetarian fiber and tons of other nutrients to get your gut in check.
Inside the one-pound container, you will find omega-three fatty acids, flaxseed, and chia seeds. You also get sprouts in the form of amaranth, quinoa, millet, buckwheat, garbanzo bean, lentil, adzuki, flaxseed, sunflower seed, pumpkin seed, chia seed, and sesame seed. Add in a dash of cinnamon, stevia, with eight probiotics, and you have a massive dose of healthy. Even better, all of the ingredients are organic to ensure the best benefit and least additives.
Not only are the ingredients great for your body, but they are also GMO-free and third-party tested for purity. A single scoop gives you six grams of fiber, six grams of protein, 66 mg of calcium, and a little iron too. Moreover, you get thirty servings of unflavored powder to add to your smoothies or liquid of your choice.
- FIBER WITH PROBIOTICS: Our Super Seed fiber delivers 6 gram of fiber, 6 gram of protein, healthy omega 3 fats, and beneficial probiotics and enzymes per serving
- WHOLE FOOD FIBER: This vegetarian fiber is made with 14 sprouted seeds, grains and legumes for a nutrient dense source of dietary fiber
- SOLUBLE & INSOLUBLE: An excellent source of both soluble and insoluble fiber
- CONSTIPATION RELIEF: Super Seed contains ingredients specifically chosen to support gut health, regular bowel function and overall health
- UNFLAVORED: This unflavored supplement is a great addition to smoothies and many other foods or recipes to boost nutritional content and fiber
Another way to get helpful digestive prebiotics is through chicory root, and the best option is with Inulin Powder Organic Chicory Root by Jetsu. Chicory root gives you inulin, which is a plant-based prebiotic. Even better, it’s incredibly healthy for you as it can reduce constipation, act as a healthy army of bacteria for your gut, curb your appetite, and so much more.
Moreover, the supplement is an organic form of inulin fiber powder that’s easy to take. The only ingredient in the bag is five grams of inulin, also known as fructooligosaccharides or (FOS). It’s naturally found in plants, and now you can add it to your coffee! What you don’t get in this powder is salt, starch, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, soy, milk, eggs, shellfish, or preservatives.
The low glycemic index food is even good for those on restricted diets. You can send in a colony of bacteria soldiers into your intestines for good colon health. Add a single scoop of the vegan powder to your liquid of choice and up your fiber count naturally. A single bag offers a forty-five day supply and comes with a scoop for easy measuring.
- CHICORY ROOT INULIN: soluble ORGANIC inulin fiber that is easy to use to promote digestive health. Inulin powder is a nutritional powerhouse. Prebiotics are essential for a healthy digestive tract.
- HIGH IN FIBER: low in calories, vegan friendly, kosher certified, halal certified and suitable for anyone with a gluten intolerance. Does NOT contain any Soy, Milk, Egg, Shellfish, Corn, Wheat & Peanuts.
- 100% NATURAL NO ARTIFICIAL OR REFINED SUGARS + LOW CARB: Inulin helps boost your fibre intake, encourages a healthy digestive system. We NEVER use artificial sugars, added sweeteners, refined flours, or use ingredients containing hydrogenated oils.
- ADD TO ANY FOOD OR DRINK with little impact on taste or texture, a fantastic source of diet fiber. FREE measuring scoop in the pouch.
- STIMULATES HEALTHY BACTERIA: Dietary fiber is very important AND it helps to keep you from snacking. Do not take if Pregnant / Nursing. SUBSCRIBE AND SAVE to save up to 10%
Attack stubborn constipation with JJ Virgin Extra Fiber Powder. While this supplement is a little pricy, it offers several ingredients ready to help you go with ease. With twelve fibers, you know something will work for your unique body structure. Also, the supplement can help support healthy weight management.
The pill-free powder doesn’t have a grainy texture making it easy to take the four grams of soluble and insoluble fiber. In this powder, you get acacia gum, cellulose, guar gum, cranberry seed powder, carrot fiber, inulin, citrus fiber, glucomannan, apple pectin, psyllium husk, flax, and prune. However, while guar gum can assist with constipation, it may not be a comfortable process, so do not go over the recommended dosage.
Otherwise, the supplement is grain-free, paleo, and ready to add a little extra fiber to your GI tract. It’s also free of dairy, corn, gluten, egg, artificial sweeteners, or soy. Add two teaspoons to the smoothie or liquid of your choice for the next two months and watch your body react favorably.
- 12 FIBERS FOR BETTER TOLERANCE - Extra Fiber meets your body's needs with 12 different sources, promoting your fiber intake without the risk of digestive upset that comes with single-source fiber supplements.*
- SUPPORT WEIGHT MANAGEMENT - Fiber helps you feel full, satisfied, and is a great ally against pesky snack attacks. Fiber also promotes optimal gut health by helping your system run smoothly.*
- PILL FREE & NON-GRAINY - no more giant capsules or grainy fiber in your drinks! Extra Fiber dissolves easily in water or the beverage of your choice. We love to add it to protein shakes to help us feel satisfied for hours.*
- SENSITIVITY FRIENDLY - A grain-free, Paleo source that should not provoke the gas, bloating, or minor GI discomforts provoked by some single-fiber products. Free of dairy, corn, gluten, egg, artificial sweeteners, and soy protein.*
- FROM NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER & CELEBRITY NUTRITIONIST JJ VIRGIN - JJ Virgin has transformed lives with her comprehensive line of healthy lifestyle support products. Every product was created with wholesome ingredients and unwavering quality, so you never have to settle.
Buying Guide for Fiber Supplements
Before picking a fiber supplement, take a look at the active ingredients, side effects, and get some answers to your questions. Many of these supplements offer more than just helping prevent constipation. Let’s start with the ingredients.
Before we look at the best fiber lets, look at the two types of fiber – soluble and insoluble. Soluble fiber dissolves in water, it’s sticky, and fermentable. Insoluble fiber doesn’t dissolve in water, and it’s bulky when driving through your digestive tract.
If you are looking to bulk up your stool to relieve constipation, then you need insoluble fiber. It can also clear out carcinogens along with unhealthy particles in your GI tract. Moreover, soluble fiber can help to soften stool for easier elimination.
Psyllium Husk Powder is the easiest to find supplements and comes from a plant grown in India. The seeds provide the fiber-rich food that serves as a natural, bulking laxative. Moreover, it’s a prebiotic that can help with constipation, diarrhea, cholesterol, blood sugar, heart and blood pressure, and weight management.
Fructooligosaccharides are carbs that act as prebiotics as they are insoluble to help jumpstart your digestive tract. Not only does this prebiotic help with constipation and digestive health, but also with immunity, cholesterol, blood sugar, and boosting weight loss.
Barley grass is a grain most often found in cereal. It’s used worldwide behind a shortlist of wheat, rice, and corn, making it very popular. Not only is it full of fiber ready to assist your gut, but it also helps with weight loss, controls blood sugar levels, lowers cholesterol, prevents heart disease, and cancer. Also, it’s high in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
Inulin is a soluble plant fiber found in large quantities in the chicory root plant and thousands upon thousands of other plants. It reduces constipation, acts like a prebiotic, curbs appetite, improves heart health and metabolism, and increases calcium absorption.
Speaking of chicory root, inulin isn’t its only benefit. You can make a fabulous cup of coffee with the plant with bright blue flowers. Moreover, it can reduce stress and inflammation, protect the liver, delay or prevent diabetes, manage arthritis, aid in gut health, and even help with constipation because of the fiber content and the inulin.
Soluble fiber absorbs water, and if you don’t drink enough, you may find yourself dehydrated. Make sure to take plenty of water with any fiber source, especially since it will help you in your goal to go number two! Large quantities of fiber can also cause gas and bloating too.
Talk to your doctor if you have digestive issues or irritable bowel syndrome as some fibers are harder on sensitive stomachs. Also, some fiber sources have gluten, and some people may need to avoid those options such as those with celiacs. The fiber source least likely to cause issues is inulin as it’s in so many food and generally well-tolerated. Pregnant women should avoid chicory coffee as it can trigger a miscarriage. It can also cause hives, rashes, itching, and swelling if you have an allergy.
The average adult needs 25 to 38 grams of fiber a day and often only get about 15 grams! Women under 50 should strive for 25 grams and a little more if pregnant. Men should try to get 38 grams a day.
You don’t need to take this much fiber in supplement form, just enough to manage any shortages in your diet. If you eat a healthy diet high in grains, fruits, and vegetables, you may not even need supplemental fiber. Although, it never hurts to add a little extra for occasional constipation. If possible, try to get a mixture of both soluble and insoluble fiber to get all the benefits of both and really improve your digestive tract.
Questions About Fiber Supplements
Which foods are highest in fiber?
As there are two types of fiber – soluble and insoluble, we will look at the top foods for both. The best soluble fiber whole foods include psyllium husk, flaxseed, passion fruit, oats, lentils, legumes, beans, tofu, avocado, green veggies, and sweet potato.
For the best insoluble fiber foods are bran, cauliflower, prunes, dark leafy greens, blackberries, nuts, and apples. Mind you, neither of these are exhaustive lists but offer a great jumping-off point to help you get started on eating more whole foods ready to assist you in constipation.
Can fiber really help me lose weight?
Absolutely! Not only does it help to clean out your digestive tract, but it also a fiber-rich diet fills you up faster and often offers more nutrient-dense foods with fewer calories. Moreover, soluble fiber slows down digestion, which helps you to get the most nutrients while losing your appetite for several hours.
What else can I do to promote regularity and fight constipation?
The answer is so simple you might be surprised. Drink more water. That’s it! Stick to plain old H2O or even tea without creamers or sweeteners. Also, you can check with your doctor to see if any of your medications are causing constipation. Finally, eat a healthy diet high in whole grains, fruits, and veggies while avoiding refined carbs.
For more information about fiber, watch this short video by the Mayo Clinic:
To start out your supplemental fiber journey, we suggest Konsyl – Original Formula – Psyllium Husk Powder. Not only is psyllium husk well-tolerated, but it’s massively affordable, and helps to improve your digestive system along with a whole lot of other benefits too. Adding the powder to your diet couldn’t be easier so you can start improving constipation quickly and naturally.