The Top 6 Hemp Protein Powders of 2020 Reviewed
Hemp protein powders are a vegetable-based alternative to traditional protein powders. Unlike some protein substitutes, hemp powder is a complete protein, meaning it includes all nine essential amino acids that human bodies do not produce on their own. Hemp protein contains an ideal 3:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids and includes dietary fibers. Unfortunately, the average adult on the SAD (standard American diet) consumes much less complete protein than they should, which can hinder things like muscle growth. While many plant-based proteins are difficult to digest, hemp protein is easier on the digestive system, making it ideal for people with dietary restrictions, so long as they are not allergic to hemp, of course.
Compared to other animal-based sources of protein, hemp is similar to egg whites, but not as protein-rich as soy options or whey protein. On top of this, hemp protein contains healthy, unsaturated fats that are good for your heart, which is ideal for anyone looking to ingest healthier fats but can pose an issue when it comes to low-fat and low-calorie diets.
While some people complain about hemp’s earthy taste, it is best mixed into shakes and smoothies, as this can disguise it’s somewhat-grainy texture. No matter how you mix it, hemp protein acts as both an ideal dietary supplement and a post-workout recovery tool that can help reduce muscle fatigue and help you perform your best.
We’ve gone ahead and researched the top hemp protein powders, so you can up your protein intake without slowing down your workout schedule. In a hurry? We’ve compiled a table so you can get the what’s what of hemp proteins at a glance.
Best Hemp Protein Powders
Here are the top choices for protein powders and how they can easily fit into your diet.
With 15 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber per serving, Nutiva Hemp Protein Powder is our top choice. Providing 30% of your daily fiber intake with a single scoop, this post-workout powder not only helps your body bounce back from an intense workout, it can help regulate your dietary system and maintain an ideal equilibrium. Boasting a sustainable, non-GMO, organic recipe, Nurivia ensures that this superfood is super for the planet as well as your body.
Since this product is unflavored, reviewers note that the taste can be a bit grassy, but that is to be expected of hemp proteins. Overall, this product is ideal for post-workout smoothies and for those who don’t mind a bit of an earthy flavor to their protein. However, the fiber content alone makes up for the slightly unusual flavor profile, and with about 25% of the recommended protein for the average adult per serving, this is sure to kick your body back into gear.
One of the bonuses of Nutiva Hemp Protein Powder is that it uses a cold press method that preserves more of the nutrients found in hemp, allowing your body to access a wider range of benefits from the protein than heat treated methods. And with a nutritional profile that works for vegetarians, vegans, gluten-free, low-carb, and keto diets, as well as paleo and raw diets, you can get the protein boost you need in a jiffy.
- NUTRIENT DENSE: Rich in plant protein, fiber, magnesium, iron, zinc, and sustainable source of amino acids, fatty acids, protein, and edestin—one serving provides 10 grams of raw organic protein and 12 grams of fiber with no trans or saturated fats
- NATURALLY EXTRACTED: Made from raw hemp seed and gently cold-pressed without the use of hexane, preservatives, additives or added sugar for a clean, plant-based protein that's high in Omega 3 fats and antioxidants
- PREMIUM DIET COMPATIBILITY: Delicious light nutty flavor easily blends into smoothies, shakes, yogurt and more for vegetarian, vegan, raw, whole food, paleo, ketogenic, and gluten-free diets
- COMMITMENT TO QUALITY: Nutiva partners with Canadian farmers to source the world’s finest organic, non-GMO, sustainably grown hemp seeds and stringently adheres to USDA certified organic and non-GMO guidelines to deliver superfood that is good for you and good for the planet
- USE PRE- AND POST-WORKOUT: Balance of omega 6 Gamma Linoleic Acid (GLA) to omega-3 Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA) for balanced diet
Nothing sounds quite as epic as the name “Sunwarrior,” and this hemp-based protein powder lives up to its awe-inspiring name. With a stunning 24 grams of protein per serving to support muscle growth, as well as 6 grams of BCAAs (branch-chained amino acids), which are essential amino acids that are crucial for recovery, this supplement packs quite a punch.
With a formula that combines the protein-rich power of legumes with hemp, coconut, and goji berries, you can up your performance while still caring for your body. With a boost of MTCs (medium-chain triglycerides) from the coconut to promote weight loss, this is an ideal option for anyone on a lean, muscle-building diet.
The built-in lid scoop makes dishing out your next post-workout smoothie that much easier, and with a wide range of flavors to choose from, you can avoid some of the grassy flavor that hemp is known for. Many reviewers have applauded the flavor, stating that “you can’t even taste the protein.” However, a few reviews did mention that the smaller size container did lead to needing to order it more frequently. Still, for anyone looking for the protein power of hemp without any of the aftertaste, this is the perfect option for you.
- Pure natural dietary supplement; Mixture of plant-based proteins, super antioxidants, goji berries, MCTs, legumes, hemp, and ground coconut
- Contains electrolytes to keep your body fit; Promotes lean muscle
- Raw, keto-friendly, low-carb, high-protein, non-GMO, certified organic and vegan; Free of soy, dairy, sugar, and gluten
- Mix this powdered superfood into your shake or smoothie for the perfect pre- or post-workout drink
- Contains essential amino acids, including L-Arganine, L-Lysine, L-Tyrosine, L-Glycine, L-Leucine, L-Tryptophan, L-Proline, L-Methionine, L-Histidine, and L-Serine
On the fence about hemp protein powders? This option will show you why you should say “hemp yeah!” to this plant-based dietary booster. Manitoba Harvest Hemp is unsweetened and includes 13 grams of fiber and 13 grams of protein per serving, giving it a nice balance between a workout recovery aid and a dietary aid.
Unlike some of the other options on this list, this powder is 100% pure hemp, no fuss, no muss, no additives. On top of this, this protein powder is certified organic, has no GMOs, and is dairy-free. With a renewable energy certification, you can enjoy the benefits of hemp without worrying about increasing your carbon footprint, making this perfect for the environmentally conscious nutritional guru.
While this particular option is unflavored, they offer both chocolate and vanilla versions, though countless reviewers swear by the unflavored version. Like all hemp proteins, the Manitoba Harvest Hemp Yeah! Organic Max Fiber Protein Powder does have a gritty texture, but this can be offset by mixing it with a smoothie or diluting with additional water. For anyone looking for a no-frills hemp protein, this is a great choice. And with no added preservatives, you can rest easy knowing you’re putting the very best into your body.
- 13g of Fiber, 13g of Organic Plant-Based Protein, 2.5g Omegas 3&6
- Only 1 ingredient - Organic Hemp Protein Powder
- Certified USDA Organic, Certified Non-GMO, Vegan, Dairy free
- B Corp Certified, Made with renewable energy
- MIx with your favorite fruit, greens and avocado to create your own super treat!
Amazing Grass Protein Superfood: Organic Vegan Protein Powder goes beyond just offering hemp. Boasting two servings of fruits and vegetables per serving and featuring a delicious, pure vanilla flavoring, this protein powder takes the idea of a “complete protein” to a new level. With 20 grams of complete protein per serving (that’s over 33% of the daily dose for the average adult), as well as a whole host of organic, non-GMO ingredients, including pea protein, quinoa, hemp protein, and chia, this is a true dietary booster.
While this option is on the lower side when it comes to fiber intake (only 3 grams per serving), the included fruits and veggies make up for this dip in dietary fibers. With a nutritional boost from goji, acai, pineapple, and sweet potato, this grain-free plant protein offers a balanced diet in a single dose. Some reviewers note that this protein powder is targeted at balancing your diet over being a post-workout recovery tool, and as such isn’t made to help muscle recovery or retention. Still, if you find yourself in need of a plant-based protein supplement that showcases the amazing powers of hemp, this is a great option for you.
- All-in-one nutritional protein shake with 20g complete protein from organic pea protein, organic quinoa, organic hemp protein & chia.
- 7 alkalizing greens, 9 nutrient-dense fruits & veggies, 4 carbs, less than 1g of sugar, 3g of fiber.
- 2 full servings of fruits & veggies per serving. Alfalfa, Spirulina, Chlorella, and Acai.
- USDA Organic, Non-GMO, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Grain-Free
- Add one scoope to 12 Oz or more to your beverage of choice, craft the ultimate smoothie or add to your favorite recipe.
Made with a winning combination of hemp powder, pumpkin seed powder, and milk thistle powder, Dr. Forest Organic Hemp Protein Powder is specially formulated to help you recover after an intense workout, while still supplying your body with the essential vitamins and minerals you need to stay at your best. With an incredible 20 grams of protein per serving, as well as 8 grams of fiber and omega 3, 6, and 9, this powder is the complete package. This powder is as natural as it gets, using a cold pressed method to preserve the integrity of the hemp, while sourcing their ingredients from certified organic and non-GMO sources. With no dairy, nuts, soy, rice, peas, or gluten, this is an ideal protein option for anyone with dietary sensitivities that make using whey or other protein powders difficult.
With a recipe that boasts immune-boosting benefits, as well as 18 amino acids per serving, this powder is as close as you can get to a complete nutritional booster. One downside, however, is that this protein does come in at 140 calories per serving, with 9 grams of carbohydrates and 1 gram of sugar, making it iffy for diets that count calories or avoid carbs, like the keto diet. Still, if you’re looking for a hemp protein powder that does more than just up your daily protein intake, Dr. Forest Organic Hemp Protein Powder takes the cake.
- PERFECT FOR BUILDING LEAN MUSCLE: Dr. Forest Vegan Plant Protein powder is loaded with 20 grams of protein so that you can build lean muscle mass. This protein powder is perfect for after workouts to build muscle so that you stay strong and lean.
- PROMOTES HEALTHY LIVER & KIDNEY FUNCTION: Dr. Forest protein powder contains Milk Thistle which is known to help detoxify the liver and kidneys naturally. Eliminating toxins from the liver and kidneys is important to prevent liver failure, urinary tract infections and other diseases. Milk Thistle helps to effectively eliminate toxins from your body so that you can feel your best!
- BOOSTS IMMUNE SYSTEM: This protein powder is packed with vitamins and minerals that help to keep your immune system functioning at its best. It also contains pure and effective ingredients that promote cleansing to detoxify your body from toxins that can cause sickness and disease. Incorporate this protein powder into your diet to keep your immune system strong.
- 3 PURE & HIGH QUALITY INGREDIENTS: We formulate our protein powder with 3 High Quality, Raw Cold Pressed ingredients: Hemp Seed Powder, Pumpkin Seed Powder and Milk Thistle Powder. These proteins are combined without any artificial flavors, sweeteners, fillers or colors so that you get only the purest nutrition. This protein powder is also Non-GMO, Non-Dairy, and free of Gluten, soy, rice, peas, eggs, and nuts so that anyone with sensitivities can use our protein powder
- LOVE IT OR YOUR MONEY BACK: Our vegan protein powder is the highest quality and healthiest vegan protein powder on the market. If for any reason you are not 100% satisfied, please contact us for a full hassle-free refund or replacement!
Nutiva Organic, Cold-Processed Hemp Protein offers you the benefits of hemp without stripping away any of the natural fats that make it so beneficial. With a patented cold processing method that avoids any additives or chemicals, leaving you a pure, fiber-and-protein-dense powder that can take your diet to the next level, you won’t be disappointed. This shake mix comes in both chocolate and vanilla options to help mask the grassy flavor that hemp protein is known for,
Compared to some of the other options on this list, this does have a higher calorie count than just plain hemp protein, coming in with 120 calories per serving, as well as 14 grams of carbohydrates. With 7 grams of sugars and the added ingredients of coconut sugar and cocoa powder, if you are looking for a pure protein powder, you may be better served to find one that is unflavored.
Still, all of their ingredients are certified organic and non-GMO, as well as being sustainably grown, and as far as added sugars go, coconut sugars are much healthier than their alternatives, making this a reliable option for anyone looking to sweeten their protein experience without weighing down their body with processed sugars. As with many hemp proteins, reviewers recommended mixing this one into a smoothie, as it helps with the somewhat grainy texture of the mixture itself.
Hemp Protein Powder Purchase Guide
It is worth noting that hemp protein powder, while a complete protein, is not as high in protein as many other protein substitutes, and does run the risk of dietary issues should you develop a sensitivity to the product. That’s why it’s a good idea to keep some of the following facts in mind when looking to invest in a hemp protein powder for dietary or workout purposes.
Post-Workout vs. Dietary
For post-workout protein powders, you should keep in mind that certain levels of amino acids, especially BCAA (branch-chain amino acids) are crucial to your recovery. While hemp protein powders do often contain essential amino acids, it’s always a good idea to do your research on the product at hand to ensure it has the right balance of substances to help you recover after your workout. It’s also worth noting that, as many people find hemp powder to have an odd or disagreeable taste, you want to consume any post-workout powders within 2 hours of your workout to best effect, and consuming them too slowly over that time may limit their effectiveness. Still, hemp protein is a good option for those who have dietary restrictions that make using other complete proteins like whey and soy impossible.
Using hemp protein powder for dietary reasons can help regulate your digestive system and ensure you are getting your daily dosage of fiber, which can help keep all of your systems running regularly. As with any supplement, you want to discuss with your doctor before fully substituting your diet with hemp protein powder, as well as check all of the ingredients included in the mixture to ensure you have no unwanted reactions to any of the ingredients. Thankfully, hemp protein powder can help you achieve all of your daily protein needs with little hassle, making it ideal for people who get less than the daily recommended amount of protein from their normal diet.
Cold processing helps preserve hemp’s natural benefits, including the essential unsaturated fats and minerals that help keep your body running in top shape. Cold processed hemp is more natural than the heat treated or chemically processed versions on the market, and can help ensure you get all the nutrients available from your hemp protein powders.
Protein Per Serving
As with any supplement, it’s best to consult with your doctor before starting a new one to ensure you don’t compromise your body’s systems or have any unwanted reactions with other medications. Still, the recommended daily amount of protein for the average adult is between 45 and 60 grams of protein, meaning adding hemp protein powder to your diet can help you reach that goal quicker. Look for hemp powders that offer at least 13 grams of protein per serving, and keep in mind that you can still consume proteins in your normal diet each day, meaning you should not completely replace your protein intake with hemp-based protein powders.
Questions About Hemp Protein Powders
Does Hemp Contain THC?
Since hemp is a cousin of the marijuana plant, many people worry than hemp contains noticeable amounts of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), which is the psychoactive part of marijuana. Thankfully, hemp contains little if any THC, and will have no psychoactive effects upon consuming. On another positive note, regular consumption of hemp will not cause you to have a false positive on a drug test, should that be a concern.
Is Hemp Better Than Whey Proteins?
Unfortunately, as far as complete proteins go, whey protein does offer more protein that is easier for your body to access than hemp proteins, making it ideal for body builders and anyone looking to increase their muscle mass. However, for people just looking to supplement their protein intake and those who are more focused on building lean muscles, hemp protein powder is an excellent option.
Is Hemp Better Than Soy Proteins?
Once again, as far as complete proteins go, soy protein is a more robust source of protein and is easier for your body to access than hemp proteins. Thankfully, this means those without a soy sensitivity can still supplement their body building and workout routines with soy protein to reach their target gains. However, for anyone looking for lean muscle and dietary supplementation, hemp protein powder is an excellent replacement.
The Benefits of Hemp Protein Powders
Here is a short video on the benefits of hemp protein powders and how they can boost your body.