The Top 7 Astaxanthin Supplements of 2020 Reviewed
Astaxanthin is a carotenoid pigment that gives trout, salmon, and other fish their pinkish color. This pigment does more than make pretty colors, it is an antioxidant, and is said to have many health benefits, including improving skin appearance, increasing endurance, soothing joint pain, impacting your heart health, and even treating cancer. But how accurate are these statements, and what does this helpful pigment do for the human body?
Astaxanthin is an antioxidant, and as such is targeted by a lot of health claims, some of a more dubious nature. Still, astaxanthin has been linked to improving blood flow and lowering oxidative stress in smokers and those who are overweight. While some claim astaxanthin can fight off or even cure cancer, unfortunately, this is not true, but it can help regulate your blood flow, and may even help reduce wrinkles and brighten the appearance of your skin.
While astaxanthin has been shown to impact endurance and fatigue levels in mice, nothing has been proven as far as people go. Still, this supplement is useful for your overall health, and while it may not be the world’s ultimate superfood, it’s a good source of antioxidants and can help you stay at your best. Not a fan of the pill form? You can still get astaxanthin the old-fashioned way by eating salmon and trout, but these supplements offer the same benefits without any of the added calories or unwanted fats for your diet.
Here is a table comparing the different astaxanthin supplements on the market, so you can make an informed decision before you purchase.
The Best Astaxanthin Supplements
Here are some of the best astaxanthin supplements on the market to help with everything from blood flow regulation to skin problems and even joint health.
With a specialized formula made to target joint health, as well as to help strengthen your skin and eyes, BioAstin Hawaiian Astaxanthin supplements include 12 mg of astaxanthin, as well as 33% of your recommended dietary allowance of vitamin E, which can help improve skin elasticity and overall health. With a commitment to non-GMO products and a recipe that’s free of gluten, soy, lactose, and wheat, this supplement ensures that you get the nutrition your body needs without adding any unnecessary dietary irritants.
While this supplement may help with skin conditions and may improve the appearance of your skin, it is always important to wear sunblock when in direct sunlight. However, for anyone with dry or sagging skin, this combination of nutrients may help increase your skin’s natural elasticity, and with a company committed to quality and safety, you can rest easy knowing you’re putting only the very best ingredients into your body.
Not only does BioAstin offer their original formula, but they also produce a vegan alternative, for those who would rather not consume any animal products for dietary or philosophical reasons. Their vegan alternative sources the astaxanthin from the algae that creates it as a stress response or in response to excess sunlight. This added benefit alone would be enough to rocket this supplement to the top of our list but paired with their commitment to quality and the overall benefits of this supplement, this is easily our top choice.
- JOINT HEALTH & RECOVERY FROM PHYSICAL ACTIVITY: With results you can feel, BioAstin is recommended for individuals interested in supporting quick recovery from strenuous exercise or physical activity, and also reducing oxidative stress that causes soreness and stiffness
- SKIN SUPPORT DURING UV & SUN EXPOSURE: Scientific studies show taking astaxanthin increased the amount of time it took for UV radiation to redden the skin. Other studies showed improvements in skin moisture and appearance.
- NATURALLY GROWN - 100% HAWAIIAN: The ONLY astaxanthin made with 100% Non-GMO microalgae (Haematococcus pluvialis) naturally grown on our farm in Kona, Hawaii, USA. Grown with sun, water & aloha, our unique farm to bottle process ensures high quality products from a source you can trust.
- SUPERIOR ANTIOXIDANT: Astaxanthin is one of nature’s most powerful antioxidants – 800X stronger than CoQ10 - 6,000X stronger than Vitamin C - 100X stronger than Vitamin E in relative antioxidant activity.
- QUALITY & SAFETY: We grow and bottle our own product so you can be confident knowing where your astaxanthin comes from. GMP Facility certified; extensive quality control; USP, IGEN (Non-GMO tested) & NAXA verified natural astaxanthin; Pesticide, Herbicide & Gluten Free. Free of soy, yeast, wheat and lactose
Viva Naturals Astaxanthin offers sixty 12 mg softgels per package, giving you a two-month supply in one easy location. Thanks to a suspension system that is made with olive oil instead of soybean oil, this product is both gluten and soy-free, and with a formula specifically developed to benefit healthy skin and eyes, this supplement is an ideal option for anyone worried about maintaining their eye health as they age. With a creation process specially formulated to keep their supplements as pure as possible, as well as a commitment to non-GMO products, this is an excellent option for anyone looking to take their diet to the next level.
For those looking to ease into taking astaxanthin, Viva Naturals also offers a 4 mg option that comes in a 120-count bottle, meaning you can work your way up to the recommended daily dose. This is important, as some people note that the added olive oil combined with the astaxanthin causes them to have loose stools. While this is not a major side effect, it is worth being prepared. As always, talk to your primary care provider before starting a new supplement, especially if you have gastrointestinal issues that may become aggravated by certain oils.
- HELPS KEEP EYES HEALTHY AS YOU AGE* - It’s a big plus for many fans of asthaxanthin (a deep-red algae extract that gives shrimp and lobster their color). Studies in people taking a 6 mg astaxanthin supplement daily showed that it not only promotes eye health overall, but it gives your vision support, too*—and ours has twice that amount!
- SCAVENGES FREE RADICALS* - Antioxidants help defend your cells against the damaging free radicals we face daily from pollution, stress and more. And when it comes to antioxidant supporting vitamins, astaxanthin packs a punch: it’s 10x stronger than beta-carotene!*
- SUPPORTS SKIN HEALTH* - Because of its antioxidant activity, our astaxanthin pills not only scavenge free radicals to support skin health, they’ve also been shown to help keep your skin firm and hydrated, too.*
- SUPPORTS HEART HEALTH & IMMUNE FUNCTION* - The benefits of pure astaxanthin aren’t just skin deep! Research shows that taking at least 12 mg of astaxanthin can give your cardiovascular system a hand every day, and help keep your body’s natural defense system working as it should.*
- HIGH QUALITY, NON-GMO INGREDIENTS - Each softgel of Viva Naturals astaxanthin features 12 mg of natural astaxanthin. Sourced from a microalgae called Haematococcus pluvialis using supercritical carbon dioxide (CO2) extraction, our astaxanthin is extracted without oxygen, for a fresher, more stable astaxanthin. It’s also non-GMO and soy-free (that’s because ours is made with olive oil, not soybean oil)
Looking to invest in astaxanthin but sick of buying separate bottles throughout the year? With 180 capsules per bottle, We Like Vitamins provides 6 months’ worth of pills for one low price. The We Like Vitamins commitment to purity ensures that their product is in the cleanest form possible—no artificial coloring, no artificial flavors, no preservatives, no yeast, no corn, no milk or milk derivatives, no lactose, no salt, no sodium, no sugar, no soy, and no gluten starch or wheat. For a long list of “no”s, this supplement is a real yes. With 10 mg of astaxanthin per capsule, this is one of the strongest supplemental doses out there.
Countless reviewers noted that this product helped relieve their arthritis, improved their skin, and helped boost their energy, making this one of the key supplements for anti-aging. The only downside to this product is that it is not vegan-friendly, however with all the other benefits from this product, it is still an incredible option to help increase your energy and revitalize your life.
- BEST VALUE Astaxanthin -180 Capsules- 6 MONTH SUPPLY – Each bottle contains 180 Capsules of Astaxanthin for a full 6 Month Supply. Most others offer 120 pills or less at a higher price point. With We Like Vitamins Astaxanthin you buy fewer bottles and save money.*
- PURE HIGH POTENCY 10MG DAILY DOSE - Every capsule delivers 10mg of Max Strength Astaxanthin.*
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee – If within 30 days your unhappy with your product in any way just send it back to us and we will fully refund your purchase price. No questions asked. ORDER RISK FREE*
- HIGH QUALITY ASTAXANTHIN – All of our products are encapsulated and bottled in the USA with ingredients sourced from around the world. Contains no: artificial coloring, artificial flavors, preservatives, yeast, corn, milk or milk derivatives, lactose, salt, sodium, sugar, soy, gluten starch or wheat.*
- USING Astaxanthin Supplements is a great start to a healthier lifestyle! Astaxanthin is often misspelled as: astaxantina, astazanthin, astaxathin, astaxantin, anaxathin, astathanxin, astrazanthan, axstazanthin, axtasanthin, asaxtanthin, astraxanthan, astanxathin, anathaxin, asathaxin, and axthananthin*
Sports Research Astaxanthin with Organic Coconut Oil offers the power of a 12 mg dose of astaxanthin with the added natural absorption aid of coconut oil. With astaxanthin sourced from Haematococcus pluvialis, this supplement is vegan and vegetarian-friendly, as well as being gluten and soy-free, and certified non-GMO. As mentioned previously, astaxanthin is best dissolved in oil to help with absorption, and the use of coconut oil makes this both a healthier alternative to olive oil or soybean oil, as well as offering the health benefits of coconut.
Customers who used this product raved about how much healthier their skin felt, and were impressed with their increased endurance and lowered joint discomfort. The softgel design allows this supplement to be swallowed easily, and the increased dosage reduces the number of pills you need to take each day, making it ideal for those who either dislike taking pills or already have a fair number of supplements in their diet and do not want to struggle with dozens of pills each morning. It should be noted that those with tree nut allergies should be cautious when taking coconut oil, but other than that, this is a great option for anyone looking to add astaxanthin to their daily routine.
- PURE ASTAXANTHIN: We use only 100% Astaxanthin sourced from Haematococcus pluvialis micro-algae.
- COCONUT OIL: Astaxanthin is a lipid-soluble and should be taken with a fat. We blend our Astaxanthin with cold-pressed Organic Virgin Coconut oil to aid with absorption.*
- JUST 1 CAPSULE A DAY: No longer need to worry about taking 3 capsules a day. Our one a day formula contains 12mg of Astaxanthin per softgel.*
- QUALITY: IGEN Non-GMO Verified, Soybean Oil and Gluten Free Manufactured in a cGMP certified facility in CA.
- 90-Day Money-Back Guarantee: Your satisfaction means everything to our company. If you're not thrilled with our Astaxanthin, simply return it to us for a refund.^
Algalife Pure Astaxanthin sources their ingredients from Iceland. With a unique cultivation process that draws off of the pure glacier waters found in the country, this company has a dedication to a pure, contaminant-free end product. With antioxidant support 6,000 times stronger than most Vitamin C supplements, and a wide range of product sizes and doses to fit your unique supplement needs, this is a great option for anyone looking to ease their way into taking astaxanthin, or for those looking to stock up on their new favorite supplement.
For those worried about the impact they have on the environment, Algalife uses a volcanic rock filtration method using natural, renewable energy, for an end product that you can feel confident taking. And with a commitment to gluten-free, non-GMO ingredients, you can take Algalife Pure Astaxanthin with confidence. The real pièce de résistance of this product is that it is entirely vegan and vegetarian-friendly, making it ideal for those who do not eat animal products for dietary or philosophical reasons.
As a note, one reviewer mentioned that if you have trouble swallowing capsules or pierce the softgels, the oil inside does have a very distinctive and unpleasant taste, but this is not an issue so long as you treat the softgels as any other pill.
- ICELANDIC ASTAXANTHIN: A multi-tasking, anti-aging antioxidant powerhouse and free-radical scavenger with exceptional health benefits
- POTENT ANTIOXIDANT: Delivers potent antioxidant support 6000x stronger than Vitamin C supplements to help control bodily inflammation and support joint health
- UNIQUE CULTIVATION: Icelandic Astaxanthin is uniquely cultivated in the pristine glaciers of Iceland, away from contamination risk thereby creating a pure, clean and premium quality Astaxanthin to support your optimal health
- NATURES BEST: A natural Astaxanthin. Powered by natural, renewable energy. A natural filtration through volcanic lava rock. Non-GMO. Gluten-free
- FEATURES: Supports joint and muscle health. Supports a healthy cardiovascular system. Supports healthy immune function. Supports healthy skin. Supports eye and brain health
Simply Potent Astaxanthin lives up to its name. With a 10 mg dosage and easy-to-take softgels, this dietary supplement offers you the health benefits you crave in a convenient format. Each bottle contains 120 softgels, for about 4 months’ worth of dosing. This product is all-natural, non-GMO, and gluten-free, although it is worth noting it is not vegetarian or vegan friendly, and does contain soybean oil, meaning it should be avoided by those with soybean allergies.
At only 10 calories per dose and only 1g of fat, this is an ideal supplement for anyone watching their weight or on a low-fat diet. It is important to note that while some reviewers claimed that astaxanthin acted as a natural sunscreen, it does not provide protection from UV rays or general sunlight and should not be taken as a replacement for sunscreen. Still, if you are looking to boost your immune system, improve your heart health, and soothe joint pain, this is a great option for you. It is also worth noting that countless reviewers found no difference between Simply Potent and other leading brands of astaxanthin, meaning it is a safe switch should you be looking for a higher pill count option on the market.
- SUPPORTS SKIN HEALTH* - Astaxanthin helps improve skin quality and makes it younger looking by maintaining moisture level and elasticity of skin.
- STRENGTHENS EYE HEALTH* - Because Astaxanthin can cross Blood-Retina Barrier, it promoted eye health, improves eye sight, and reduces the risk of developing issues in eyes.
- POWERFUL NATURAL ANTIOXIDANT SUPPLEMENT* - As a powerful antioxidant, Astaxanthin has free radical neutralizing capacity 800X more than CoQ10, 6000X more than Vitamin C, and 550X more than Green Tea. It effectively scavenges free radicals from all parts of cells; supports Immune System function & Joint Strength; improves Muscle Strength & Endurance.
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY BRAIN AND HEART FUNCTIONS - Because Astaxanthin can cross Blood-Brain Barrier, it can reach brain cells through blood stream, nourishes brain cells and helps improve memory and focus. Astaxanthin supplies nutrient to heart cells by becoming part of heart cell walls, thus strengthens heart muscles and cardiovascular system.
- ALL-NATURAL, NON-GMO & GLUTEN-FREE, EXTRA STRENGTH BEST VALUE ASTAXANTHIN - Simply Potent Astaxanthin is derived from Haematococcus Pluvialis, a microalgae which has naturally red pigments. It is All-Natural, NON-GMO, GLUTEN-FREE, made in the USA, and manufactured in an NSF/GMP/FDA/DEA facility. Buy this best value Astaxanthin online now!
aSquared Nutrition Astaxanthin Supplement is a non-GMO and gluten-free option for anyone looking for a high-dose astaxanthin option. While this product does offer 120 capsules per bottle, it should be noted that the recipe contains soybean oil, and is not vegan, making it less ideal for those with dietary restrictions. Still, with a commitment to high-quality ingredients and providing more astaxanthin per dose for those who are sick of taking multiple pills a day, this is a great supplement option.
Reviewers noted that the 120-pill bottle was incredibly convenient and allowed them to go longer without having to reorder the supplement. They also noted that the gel capsules were much easier to swallow than normal pills, and as with any astaxanthin supplement, they saw marked improvements in their vision and joint pain concerns. As an added bonus, this supplement is made in the USA, meaning you can trust you are getting the best quality checks available before the product gets to the market.
While not as high on our list due to a lack of vegan and vegetarian support, as well as soy allergen concerns, aSquared Nutrition Astaxanthin Supplement is a great option for those looking to improve their daily health.
- MAX STRENGTH ASTAXANTHIN: Our maximum strength Astaxanthin formula contains 120 softgels of 10mg Astaxanthin, is backed by our 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE for 30 days, and is made right here in the USA in an FDA-registered and GMP-certified facility. Astaxanthin is a carotenoid that is found naturally in some algae and is responsible for the pink pigment in salmon, lobster, trout and shrimp. Astaxanthin is a potent antioxidant and free radical scavenger that supports overall health and wellness. *
- PROMOTES OVERALL HEALTH: Astaxanthin naturally supports cardiovascular, heart and immune system health. Additionally, it promotes healthy joints and eyes, and even helps reduce the appearance of skin wrinkles. Astaxanthin has been shown to support cognitive function and brain health, supports normal cholesterol levels, and may help decrease recovery time post-workout. *
- POWERFUL ANTIOXIDANT: Astaxanthin is a powerful antioxidant and natural free radical scavenger that may help protect cells from damage. Our maximum strength formula is Gluten-Free, Non-GMO, and is free of extraneous fillers and binders to ensure you are receiving a pure and high-quality vitamin supplement. Please don’t mistake our softgels with other forms of Astaxanthin such as powder caps, chewable liquid drops, lotion cream moisturizer, serum, and gelcap tablets. *
- BEST VALUE AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: Backed by our 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE for 30 days, each bottle contains 120 softgels with 10 MG of Astaxanthin in each soft gel. Don’t be fooled by less potent products that suggest taking 3 capsules of 4mg Astaxanthin to get 12mg per dose. Our formula delivers 10mg PER SOFTGEL. If you are dissatisfied with our complex you have 30 days to return it for a full refund. *
- PROVEN TRACK RECORD: aSquared Nutrition takes pride in quality and reliability. You’ll love our ever-expanding product line from CoQ10 400mg (Coenzyme Q10) to Garcinia Cambogia. Newer products include All Natural Ceylon Cinnamon, Green Tea, Milk Thistle 1000mg, 5-HTP, Forskolin 500mg, Resveratrol, DHEA 100mg, CLA 1250, Turmeric Curcumin, Green Coffee Bean Extract, Candida Cleanse, Panax Ginseng, Krill Oil 1000mg, Ashwagandha & Rhodiola Rosea. *
Astaxanthin Supplement Purchase Guide
Ready to jump on the astaxanthin bandwagon? There are a few things to keep in mind when purchasing this product. As with any supplement, check with your doctor before taking this, and do not take if you have any immunosuppressants or hormonal issues that may conflict with the supplement itself.
Softgel vs. Traditional Pills
Softgels are much easier to swallow than traditional pills, and thanks to the presence of fatty oils, much easier for your body to dissolve. Plus, astaxanthin works best when dissolved in an oil, making it an effective way to receive the intended dosage of this product. Still, if you are on a diet that is looking to reduce your fat and oil intakes, or have a sensitivity to soybean or other oils, you may be better served to invest in a traditional pill form of astaxanthin. Just keep in mind these pills are best taken along with food, as they can cause an upset stomach in some consumers.
High Dose vs. Low Dose
While you may be tempted to jump immediately to taking the highest dosage available, reconsider. You want to make sure your body has time to adjust to the astaxanthin, and a lower dose allows you to ensure you don’t have any adverse reactions to the supplement. Talk to your healthcare provider about the best dose for you and be sure to pay attention to your body. While any side effects or nausea may go away once your body adjusts, it’s always important to pay attention to changes in your body, or interactions with any medications.
That being said, higher dosage pills allow the astaxanthin to release into your system simultaneously, and are ideal for anyone who has issues swallowing multiple pills, or who wants to reduce the sheer number of supplements they take daily.
Questions About Astaxanthin Supplements
What is Astaxanthin?
Astaxanthin is a carotenoid pigment. It is responsible for giving some fish their pinkish color and is also produced by some species of algae as a stress response, or in response to prolonged sunlight exposure. While astaxanthin can be absorbed naturally from fish like salmon and trout, in many cases a higher dosage can have many benefits for the human body.
What does Astaxanthin Do?
Astaxanthin has been shown to improve your immune system, may impact heart health, and may reduce inflammation in your joints. It is also touted as a way to improve both vision and endurance, although this does require more research. Overall, it contains 6,000 times the amount of antioxidants in Vitamin C supplements and is helpful for skin problems, including wrinkles and low elasticity.
While some companies claim that astaxanthin can be used as a natural sunscreen or as a cancer treatment, neither of these has been proven nor are they recommended. It’s always best to talk with your doctor about the treatment plan they recommend for more serious conditions, and it is important to use sunscreen regardless of any supplements you are taking, as UV exposure puts you at risk for skin cancer.
Is Astaxanthin Dangerous?
The biggest concern with astaxanthin is medical interactions, and a chance of hormonal imbalance, especially in men. In most cases, astaxanthin may cause nausea, loose stools, and red stools, but will not cause any serious issues in the body. For anyone taking an immunosuppressant or on hormone medication, it is best to avoid astaxanthin, as it can unbalance these medications. As with any supplement, talk to your doctor before taking, as they can perform a drug interaction check to ensure you will have no bad side effects while taking these supplements.
Astaxanthin for Hair Loss
Here is a great video about astaxanthin’s impact on the body, and specifically it’s impact on hair growth.