The Top Recumbent Exercise Bikes Reviewed
Even if you’re not familiar with recumbent exercise bikes, you have almost certainly seen upright stationary bikes in homes and health clubs. Recumbent bikes offer a modified design that lets riders lean back instead of hunching over handlebars. Many people find that this gives them a more comfortable way to exercise their lower bodies.
Recumbent bikes offer more benefits than just comfort. Reclining means that you can enjoy other activities while exercising. Sitting back makes it easier to read a magazine or watch television. You may find that these mild distractions help you exercise longer without getting bored or tired.
Despite the increased comfort, you get just as much exercise from a recumbent exercise bike. Some people mistakenly believe that they cannot offer the same challenge as upright bikes. Research shows that you may get a slightly less cardiovascular workout because of the relaxed position, but you still burn just as many calories by exercising the largest muscles in your body. Depending on your body type, you can expect to burn about 500 calories from an hour of cycling on a recumbent bike.
Best Recumbent Exercise Bikes
If you’re ready to get started, check out these bestsellers to decide which one sounds right for you.
The Marcy Recumbent Mag Cycle is a great option for beginners who don’t want to spend a lot of money on fancy equipment. Despite its low price, this recumbent exercise bike still has a digital display that helps you keep track of time, distance, speed, and calories burned. It also has eight resistance levels that can make your workouts more challenging as you get stronger. When you want a reliable exercise bike at an affordable price, you can’t do much better than this design from Marcy.
- STEP-THROUGH DESIGN - Featuring heavy-duty construction 14-gauge steel tubing with a powder coated finish, the step-through design allows maximum mobility during training for quick mounting and dismounting that is created easier for the knees and back.
- EIGHT RESISTANCE LEVELS - This stationary bike uses a magnetic resistance mechanism with 8 levels of resistance. The tension knobs control the difficulty to simulate riding on different terrains and customize your workout according to fitness level!
- EASY-TO-READ COMPUTER SCREEN - The ultra-functional LCD computer screen acts as a odometer and has a sharp panel display that shows time, speed, distance, and calories burned in extra-large numbers for great readability.
- COMFORTABLE PADDED SEAT - The equipment has an ergonomically designed saddle furnished with comfortable high-density foam. It features contoured foam-covered handles for extra support of the back and arms to help maintain proper form when exercising.
- COUNTERBALANCED PEDALS - Weighted pedals designed to provide maximal foot support while offering ultimate control. This bike is equipped with adjustable foot straps to create the perfect fit for your feet.
The Schwinn A20 Recumbent Exercise Bike comes with several useful features, including seven workout programs, an LCD window, grip heart rate monitor, and eight levels of magnetic resistance to keep workouts challenging. It also includes speakers to keep you entertained and focused during longer workouts.
- 8 levels of resistance to keep you on your toes
- Large LCD console tracks speed, time, RPM, distance, calories, results and heart rate
- High speed, high inertia perimeter weighted flywheel for a smooth and quiet workout
- 7 preset programs: 6 profile, 1 quick start
- Ergonomically placed grip heart rate monitors
The Stamina Elite Total Body Recumbent Bike is one of the best recumbent exercise bikes for home use. The padded, adjustable seat keeps you comfortable while exercising. The multi-function monitor shows you information about speed, distance, and calories burned. It even has hand pedals so you can get an upper body workout while exercising your lower body.
- Quiet magnetic resistance. Angled back rest for added comfort,Sturdy, steel frame
- Assembled product weight 117.0 Pounds.Multi-function electronic display with scan function tracks speed, calories, heart rate, distance, and workout time
- Includes both upper hand pedals and lower foot pedals for a full body workout
- Comfortable, padded, adjustable seat. To maximize the effectiveness of your ride, work within your target heart rate zone: 70% to 85% of your maximum heart rate.
- Recommended use-Use in your home for cardiovascular fitness, upper body and lower body toning. Just a small space is required and no electrical outlet required. Recommended for users 5 feet tall and taller
The Schwinn 230 Recumbent Exercise Bike gives you a ton of features at an affordable price. Many users appreciate the bike’s USB port, dual user settings, dual LCD windows, and programmed exercises. The Schwinn 230 Recumbent Exercise BikeSchwinn will help you improve athletic performance while keeping you entertained and giving you all of the information you need to track your progress. This is the kind of recumbent bike you typically find in athletic clubs. At this price, though, it’s affordable for home use.
- Dual track two LCD window system allows you to monitor up to 13 different display feedbacks
- Schwinn Connect goal tracking and data export keep you up to date on reaching your fitness goals
- 22 programs, 2 user settings and goal tracking are all there to keep you motivated and challenged
- 20 levels of resistance aligned with a high speed high inertia perimeter weighted flywheel make every workout smooth and quiet
- Charging USB port and data exchange
The Exerpeutic 900XL Recumbent Bike has eight different tension levels that challenge riders to meet their goals. The handrails offer a grip during strenuous programs. It also can connect to your phone via Bluetooth to sync with the Smart Cloud Fitness app to track your workout. As you progress, you can adjust the bike so that it becomes more challenging and encourages you to reach the next level of fitness.
- [SMART CLOUD FITNESS]: Bluetooth Smart Cloud Fitness with free MyCloudFitness app available on Android and iOS to track your workouts via your mobile devices. 3 Workout goal settings via the App: time, distance, and calories burned
- [STEP-THRU DESIGN]: Step-Thru design providing very easy on and off capability, providing a more effective and comfortable workout. Heavy duty steel frame construction with extended Weight Capacity up to 300lbs
- [8 LEVEL TENSIONS]: An 8 level Magnetic Tension control system, allows the user to adjust the tension level for an easier or more difficult workout. "Smooth torque" cranking system provides a smooth and consistent pedaling motion
- [LARGE SEAT/BACKREST]: Large Oversized seat cushion and back rest for users of any size. Easy and quick seat adjustments for users 5'3"- 6'6". Hand Pulse provides for heart rate monitoring. Leg stabilizers prevent any movement when exercising
- [LARGE CONSOLE]: An easy to read 3. 5" large window LCD display that indicates distance, calories burned, time, speed, pulse and scan. The precision balanced flywheel and V- belt drive provide a smooth and quiet operation. 1 Year
The BulbHead Slim Cycle 2-in-1 Stationary Bike is one of the most affordable pieces of home exercise equipment that you can buy. Since it folds to a small size, you don’t even need a dedicated exercise room. It will fit into any closet, or you can just place it in a corner when not in use. Despite its low price, the BulbHead Slim Cycle also comes with built-in arm resistance bands that give you the option of an upper body workout while you cycle.
- UPRIGHT EXERCISE BIKE: gives you a high-intensity workout that you can easily work into your cardio training workout.
- RECUMBENT EXERCISE SPIN BIKE: offers a low-impact sit and cycle workout that burns calories in a more comfortable position.
- STRENGTH TRAINING: built-in Arm Resistance Bands allow you to sculpt and tone arm muscles while you cycle. Experience comparable full-body benefits of cardio equipment like the row machine and stair climber.
- MAGNETIC RESISTANCE: Like other exercise equipment machines, turn up your workout and work your way through 8 levels of magnetic resistance to challenge muscles.
- INCLUDED: one (1) Slim Cycle stationary bike.
The Nautilus R61 Recumbent Exercise Bike is one of the best pieces of exercise equipment that you can add to your home. This recumbent bike has almost every feature you could want, including user profiles, profile courses, and 16 resistance levels. The heart rate program keeps you on track to reach you fitness goals. It also has a powerful fan and adjustable seat that will keep you comfortable while working out. Adding this to your home gym means you can improve your looks and health through low-impact aerobics.
- Goal Track capability enables users to set individual exercise goals
- 22 programs: 9 profile, 8 heart rate control, 2 custom, 2 fitness test & 1 quick start
- 20 levels of resistance for a wide range of workout intensity options
- High speed, high inertia drive system with perimeter weighted flywheel for easy start up and smooth, consistent workouts
- DualTrack LCD displays
An Introduction To Recumbent Exercise Bikes
If you’ve never tried to exercise on a recumbent bike, here is a good YouTube video explaining how they work and are different from other exercise equipment: