The Top Recumbent Exercise Bikes Reviewed
Even if you’re not familiar with recumbent exercise bikes, you have almost certainly seen upright stationary bikes in homes and health clubs. Recumbent bikes offer a modified design that lets riders lean back instead of hunching over handlebars. Many people find that this gives them a more comfortable way to exercise their lower bodies.
Recumbent bikes offer more benefits than just comfort. Reclining means that you can enjoy other activities while exercising. Sitting back makes it easier to read a magazine or watch television. You may find that these mild distractions help you exercise longer without getting bored or tired.
Despite the increased comfort, you get just as much exercise from a recumbent exercise bike. Some people mistakenly believe that they cannot offer the same challenge as upright bikes. Research shows that you may get a slightly less cardiovascular workout because of the relaxed position, but you still burn just as many calories by exercising the largest muscles in your body. Depending on your body type, you can expect to burn about 500 calories from an hour of cycling on a recumbent bike. That’s less than you might burn outside riding a mountain bike, but more than you would using a pedal exerciser or an electric hunting bike. So overall, it is a decent workout.
Best Recumbent Exercise Bikes
If you’re ready to get started, check out these bestsellers to decide which one sounds right for you.
The Marcy Recumbent Mag Cycle is a great option for beginners who don’t want to spend a lot of money on fancy equipment. Despite its low price, this recumbent exercise bike still has a digital display that helps you keep track of time, distance, speed, and calories burned. It also has eight resistance levels that can make your workouts more challenging as you get stronger.
The ME-709 is designed with an easy step-through design that makes it less awkward to get on and off. Built with steel tubing, this machine is made to be durable.
The seat is ergonomically designed with high-density foam, so you won’t get saddle soreness from long cardio sessions.
When you want a reliable exercise bike at an affordable price, you can’t do much better than this design from Marcy.
This bike is one of the best rated machines on Amazon, with over 3,000 ratings for an average of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
- STEP-THROUGH DESIGN – Featuring heavy-duty construction 14-gauge steel tubing with a powder coated finish, the step-through design allows maximum mobility during training for quick mounting and dismounting that is created easier for the knees and back.
- EIGHT RESISTANCE LEVELS – This stationary bike uses a magnetic resistance mechanism with 8 levels of resistance. The tension knobs control the difficulty to simulate riding on different terrains and customize your workout according to fitness level!
- EASY-TO-READ COMPUTER SCREEN – The ultra-functional LCD computer screen acts as a odometer and has a sharp panel display that shows time, speed, distance, and calories burned in extra-large numbers for great readability.
- COMFORTABLE PADDED SEAT – The equipment has an ergonomically designed saddle furnished with comfortable high-density foam. It features contoured foam-covered handles for extra support of the back and arms to help maintain proper form when exercising.
- COUNTERBALANCED PEDALS – Weighted pedals designed to provide maximal foot support while offering ultimate control. This bike is equipped with adjustable foot straps to create the perfect fit for your feet.
The Schwinn A20 Recumbent Exercise Bike comes with several useful features, including seven workout programs, an LCD window, grip heart rate monitor, and eight levels of magnetic resistance to keep workouts challenging. It also includes speakers to keep you entertained and focused during longer workouts.
Schwinn is one of the most recognized names in bicycles, so it is no surprise that they made a high quality exercise bike. One thing that sets this machine apart from the others is the weighted flywheel that keeps the bike quiet, and has a more realistic feel.
The padded and shaped seat makes this machine very comfortable to use during the longer biking sessions. Another convenient feature is the transport wheels that make it easier to move around this bike.
This is a very well reviewed recumbent bike, with most product testers loving the product. One verified Amazon purchaser said this about the Schwinn A20, “In summary, this is an excellent exercise bike with all the bells and whistles. A great addition to my home gym.”
- 8 levels of resistance to keep you on your toes
- Large LCD console tracks speed, time, RPM, distance, calories, results and heart rate
- High speed, high inertia perimeter weighted flywheel for a smooth and quiet workout
- 7 preset programs: 6 profile, 1 quick start
- Ergonomically placed grip heart rate monitors
The Stamina Elite Total Body Recumbent Bike is one of the best recumbent exercise bikes for home use. The padded, adjustable seat keeps you comfortable while exercising. The multi-function monitor shows you information about speed, distance, and calories burned. It even has hand pedals so you can get an upper body workout while exercising your lower body.
While a bit pricey, this exercise bike by Stamina Elite is totally worth the price. The steel frame construction means this thing will last almost forever. One owner of this machine has been using it for over 9 years, and it is still going strong. But this does have a drawback, as it is a bit heavy at 117 pounds when fully assembled.
Similar to the other models, this recumbent bike does not require an electrical outlet to be run. Also convenient on this model are the wheels, which helps move this heavy machine around.
If you are looking for an exercise bike that will last you for years and give you an upper body workout as well, this may be the one for you. Just be aware that the premium quality of the product will end up costing you more.
- Quiet magnetic resistance. Angled back rest for added comfort,Sturdy, steel frame
- Assembled product weight 117.0 Pounds.Multi-function electronic display with scan function tracks speed, calories, heart rate, distance, and workout time
- Includes both upper hand pedals and lower foot pedals for a full body workout
- Comfortable, padded, adjustable seat. To maximize the effectiveness of your ride, work within your target heart rate zone: 70% to 85% of your maximum heart rate.
- Recommended use-Use in your home for cardiovascular fitness, upper body and lower body toning. Just a small space is required and no electrical outlet required. Recommended for users 5 feet tall and taller
The Schwinn 230 Recumbent Exercise Bike gives you a ton of features at an affordable price. Many users appreciate the bike’s USB port, dual user settings, dual LCD windows, and programmed exercises. The Schwinn 230 Recumbent Exercise BikeSchwinn will help you improve athletic performance while keeping you entertained and giving you all of the information you need to track your progress. This is the kind of recumbent bike you typically find in athletic clubs. At this price, though, it’s affordable for home use.
This machine is one step up in quality and features from the Schwinn A20 mentioned above. The biggest difference between the two is the electronic features. More options for music and programs is what sets it apart. The base machine is essentially the same with A high quality inertia wheel.
Another notable difference with this machine is the seat. In most other recumbent exercise bikes the seat is some form of foam padding. This machine has a plastic seat with holes for airflow. While it may be slightly less comfortable, this has some advantages. First, the holes in the seat will keep you cooler and reduce sweat. Second, this seat will not soak up sweat and bad smells as easily as the foam seats. Purchasers of the bike still claimed that the seat was comfortable though.
This recumbent exercise bike is very well liked by customers, garnering an average of 4.1 out of 5 stars with over 900 reviews. If electronic features like music and training programs are important to you, this machine is probably the one for you.
- Dual track two LCD window system allows you to monitor up to 13 different display feedbacks
- Schwinn Connect goal tracking and data export keep you up to date on reaching your fitness goals
- 22 programs, 2 user settings and goal tracking are all there to keep you motivated and challenged
- 20 levels of resistance aligned with a high speed high inertia perimeter weighted flywheel make every workout smooth and quiet
- Charging USB port and data exchange
The Exerpeutic 900XL Recumbent Bike has eight different tension levels that challenge riders to meet their goals. The handrails offer a grip during strenuous programs. It also can connect to your phone via Bluetooth to sync with the Smart Cloud Fitness app to track your workout. As you progress, you can adjust the bike so that it becomes more challenging and encourages you to reach the next level of fitness.
Like the XL in its name, this machine is able to accommodate heavier riders. Due to the high durability steel construction, the 900XL has a weight capacity of 300lbs.
One of the downsides of this bike is that it takes a little longer to assemble than other models.
Another complaint that some users had was that the tension seems inconsistent, however that is easily remedied by manually adjusting the tension.
A solid recumbent exercise bike with many features as well as bluetooth, this machine will satisfy the larger riders that don’t want to break the bank.
- [SMART CLOUD FITNESS]: Bluetooth Smart Cloud Fitness with free MyCloudFitness app available on Android and iOS to track your workouts via your mobile devices. 3 Workout goal settings via the App: time, distance, and calories burned
- [STEP-THRU DESIGN]: Step-Thru design providing very easy on and off capability, providing a more effective and comfortable workout. Heavy duty steel frame construction with extended Weight Capacity up to 300lbs
- [8 LEVEL TENSIONS]: An 8 level Magnetic Tension control system, allows the user to adjust the tension level for an easier or more difficult workout. ”Smooth torque” cranking system provides a smooth and consistent pedaling motion
- [LARGE SEAT/BACKREST]: Large Oversized seat cushion and back rest for users of any size. Easy and quick seat adjustments for users 5'3”- 6’6”. Hand Pulse provides for heart rate monitoring. Leg stabilizers prevent any movement when exercising
- [LARGE CONSOLE]: An easy to read 3. 5” large window LCD display that indicates distance, calories burned, time, speed, pulse and scan. The precision balanced flywheel and V- belt drive provide a smooth and quiet operation. 1 Year
The BulbHead Slim Cycle 2-in-1 Stationary Bike is one of the most affordable pieces of home exercise equipment that you can buy. Since it folds to a small size, you don’t even need a dedicated exercise room. It will fit into any closet, or you can just place it in a corner when not in use. Despite its low price, the BulbHead Slim Cycle also comes with built-in arm resistance bands that give you the option of an upper body workout while you cycle.
While it seems small, it is able to be used by riders big and small, as one reviewer claimed, them (5’4″) and their husband (over 6′) were both able to comfortably use the machine.
This is one of the best rated recumbent exercise bikes on Amazon with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5. This machine would be great for anyone that wants an upper and lower body workout, as well as people who don’t have a lot of space in their home for exercise equipment.
- UPRIGHT SLIM CYCLE EXERCISE BIKE: gives you a high-intensity workout that you can easily work into your cardio training workout.
- RECUMBENT EXERCISE SPIN BIKE: offers a low-impact sit and cycle workout that burns calories in a more comfortable position.
- STRENGTH TRAINING: built-in Arm Resistance Bands allow you to sculpt and tone arm muscles while you cycle. Experience comparable full-body benefits of cardio equipment like the row machine and stair climber.
- MAGNETIC RESISTANCE: Like other exercise equipment machines, turn up your workout and work your way through 8 levels of magnetic resistance to challenge muscles.
- INCLUDED: one (1) Slim Cycle stationary bike.
The Nautilus R61 Recumbent Exercise Bike is one of the best pieces of exercise equipment that you can add to your home. This recumbent bike has almost every feature you could want, including user profiles, profile courses, and 16 resistance levels. The heart rate program keeps you on track to reach you fitness goals. It also has a powerful fan and adjustable seat that will keep you comfortable while working out. Adding this to your home gym means you can improve your looks and health through low-impact aerobics.
The R61 has one of the better displays among the bikes we have reviewed, with many options for tracking progress, setting goals, and training programs. It also has the most resistance levels of any machine here, so it will really allow you to dial in to the right effort level needed.
This is an overall very high quality exercise bike, however it does come at a higher price.
- Goal Track capability enables users to set individual exercise goals
- 22 programs: 9 profile, 8 heart rate control, 2 custom, 2 fitness test and 1 quick start
- 20 levels of resistance for a wide range of workout intensity options
- High speed, high inertia drive system with perimeter weighted flywheel for easy start up and smooth, consistent workouts
- DualTrack LCD displays; Maximum user weight: 136 kg
An Introduction To Recumbent Exercise Bikes
If you’ve never tried to exercise on a recumbent bike, here is a good YouTube video explaining how they work and are different from other exercise equipment: