The Top 7 Maca Powders of 2020 Reviewed
Maca powder is made from the root of the maca plant, a cruciferous vegetable that grows in the Andes and has been used for both dietary and medicinal means for centuries. Maca root is most often powdered, but it can be sold as a capsule or liquid form.
While the health benefits of maca root are still under investigation, one thing that’s for sure is that this root is highly nutritious. 1 ounce of maca root powder contains 133% of the recommended daily intake (RDI) of Vitamin C, as well as 20 grams of carbs and 4 grams of protein.
While that doesn’t make this miraculous root ideal for anyone on a low carb diet, its various health benefits make it worth looking into as a supplement and dietary addition.
Maca powder has been found to be a powerful libido increaser and may even increase sperm count in healthy individuals. While these studies have been small, they have showed a marked increase in sexual desire in people who took maca powder for six weeks, making it a natural way to boost your libido. It has also been used to help reduce the symptoms of menopause, and animal studies suggest maca powder improves bone health, which is a crucial factor for women who have gone through menopause.
While all this sounds great, choosing the right maca powder can be overwhelming, which is why we’ve gone ahead and reviewed the top 7 maca powders on the market, analyzing the benefits and downsides of each. In a hurry? The table below gives you all you need to know about the best maca powders out there at a glance.
The Best Maca Powders
Here are the best maca powders on the market for brain function improvement, increased libido, and mood balancing, as well as countless other benefits covered at the end of this article.
Viva Naturals Organic Maca Powder is made with organic gelatinized maca root for easier absorption by your body, meaning a low heat is applied to the powder to make it easier to digest. While maca root comes in a wide range of colors, this powder is made from yellow maca root and is non-GMO, vegan, and gluten-free. This helpful supplement is best mixed into dishes for that added health boost, and most people mix it into cereal, oatmeal, or smoothies. It can also be combined into sauces and other flavor boosters to give you the health benefits you crave without compromising on taste.
Not only is this maca powder certified organic, it comes in a resealable 1-pound bag, allowing you to stock up on this helpful superfood without worrying about it going bad. Reviewers noted that the gelatinized version is ideal for anyone with sensitive stomachs, as raw maca powder can cause stomach aches for those with gastrointestinal issues. Other reviewers note it is a great energy booster, and have added it to their morning routine in place of coffee as a natural source of get-up-and-go. No matter how you use it, Viva Naturals Organic Maca Powder is perfect for giving you the benefits of maca in an easy-to-use and digestion-friendly way.
- GELATINIZED MACA ROOT - Unlike raw maca, our organic maca root powder is gelatinized in order to improve the absorption of this renowned root. Gelatinization ensures hard-to-digest starch is broken down by applying low heat to raw maca roots, resulting in a highly absorbable powder.
- AUTHENTIC PERUVIAN MACA - Known as “Peruvian ginseng”, maca from Peru has been harvested by natives for over 2,000 years! It was traditionally used by Incan warriors before battles, so it’s no wonder why it’s still considered a superfood today.
- YELLOW MACA ROOT - Maca roots grow in three colors: yellow, black and red. Our organic maca powder is gelatinized only from yellow maca roots, which we find to be the best maca powder variety!
- VERSATILE SUPERFOOD - Gelatinized maca powder gives a nice nutty flavor, and can be used to enhance a variety of recipes including smoothies, baked goods and savory items. This delectable superfood will enhance the taste and flavor of any modern-day recipe, while increasing the nutritional value of your meals.
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC & NON GMO - Viva Naturals Organic Maca Root is certified organic, non GMO, gluten-free, and is vegan-friendly, too!
For anyone looking to put only raw ingredients into their body, Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Maca Powder is the ideal option for you. Their maca powder is straight from the source and harvested using sustainable fair-trade practices. Each bag of maca powder contains raw, unprocessed maca, with no GMOs or additives. While each package only contains 12 ounces of maca powder, Terrasoul Superfoods offers bundle options for anyone who can’t get enough of this superfood. With a commitment to organic sourcing and proving the best quality food available, you can rest easy knowing you’re getting the best possible food for your body every time.
While reviewers did note that this maca powder had a very distinct taste that could be unpleasant, many recommended mixing the maca powder with cinnamon for a nuttier flavor that paired well with chocolate smoothies, as well as in oatmeal. However, some reviewers did note that because this maca powder is in its raw state, it is not as concentrated as the gelatinized maca powders on the market, and you may need to take more in order to reach the same concentration levels. Of course, as with any supplement, talk to your doctor about the right dosage options for you before taking it.
- Terrasoul Superfoods Raw Maca Powder
- USDA Certified Organic, Non-GMO, Raw, Gluten-Free, Vegan
- May boost the libido, treat menopause symptoms, and promote hormonal balance for men and women
- Sourced directly from farmers, cultivated sustainably and in accordance with fair trade practices
Zen Spirit Organic Maca Powder is a raw maca supplement sourced directly from Peru, where maca grows in its natural state. With a commitment to premium ingredients and unprocessed foods, this maca powder is ideal for anyone who wants the best powder out there, without losing any of maca’s benefits. If you’re looking to increase your libido, regulate your moods, and heighten your overall sense of balance, this maca powder is an incredible aid. Packed with vitamins B and C, as well as copper, manganese, zinc, and iron, as well as essential amino acids and important phytonutrients, this dietary supplement packs quite the health food punch.
As with other raw maca powders, there is a small chance this version will cause stomach sensitivities, but for anyone on a raw diet or looking to avoid pollution contaminants in their food, Zen Spirit Organic Maca Powder offers all of the benefits of natural living without any of the downsides. As with many raw maca powders, reviewers noted the taste was not ideal, but mixing it into different foods or pairing with natural chocolates helped mask the flavor, while still providing all the benefits of maca. If you’re looking for a raw maca powder to kick start your day, this is a great option for you.
- 226.7 Grams / 8oz of 100% Premium Peruvian Maca Root Powder USDA Organic Certified. Harvested from Junín Peru, around 2700- 4300 meters above sea level far from pollution and any contamination..
- Zen Spirit’s Maca Root Powder Premium Grade is a perfect natural supplement superfood for Cooking and Preparing Your Favorite Recipes. Such as Baking Cakes, Cookies, Delicious Smoothies, Lattés & Hot Drinks. While the Rest of the Market Focuses on Offering Lower Quality Maca for Less, We Simply Offer The Best Maca Powder in the World for a Better Value for Your Money.
- Our Premium Maca Powder Offers The Best Source of Essential Amino Acids, Minerals, Free Fatty Acids, Antioxidants, Vitamins, Sterols, Vegetal Protein & Fiber, Gluten, Sugar & Cholesterol Free.
- Maca Powder Has Been Used for Centuries by the Peruvian Natives to Boost Energy, Stamina Levels, Immune System, Athletic Endurance, Improve Memory, Hormone Balance, Blood Circulation & to Decrease Stress Levels. (Endorsed by Worldwide Scientific Studies)
- Customer Satisfaction is our #1 Priority, Therefore, Our Maca Powder has a 100% Money Back Guarantee. If for any Reason You Are Dissatisfied with Your Purchase, Please Feel Free to Send Us a Message to Grant a Refund. We Appreciate You for Choosing Zen Spirit.
Another raw maca powder option, Healthworks Raw Maca Powder is USDA-certified organic and ground much finer than many other raw maca powders on the market. In addition to this, it comes in a convenient resealable bag, making it ideal for daily use without going bad or making a mess. After all, nothing ruins your morning like having to sweep up maca powder! Worried about running out? This bad contains 2 pounds of raw maca, with options for even larger orders available, meaning you never have to worry about running low on this superfood again.
Made with yellow maca roots, the most common maca root, this product is loved by reviewers for its energy boosts and its ability to smooth over some of the common symptoms of menopause. While this version is not ideal for anyone with stomach issues, as it is in its raw form, the added benefit of the fine powder is that it mixes seamlessly into beverages and recipes without adding any unwanted textures. Plus, many reviewers noted it helped increase their libido and had them feeling younger and more energetic than they had felt in years.
- PREMIUM RAW, ORGANIC MACA SUPER ROOT POWDER: Healthworks Maca Powder is sustainably grown and harvested in Peru. Also known as Peruvian Ginseng, our Maca Super Root Powder is keto-friendly, vegan, non-GMO, and certified organic. No added preservatives or artificial ingredients.
- MANY BENEFITS & NUTRIENTS: A nutrient dense plant-based antioxidant Superfood that is high in Essential Amino Acids, Vegetal Protein, Fiber, Vitamin C, B Vitamins, Calcium, Iron, Potassium, Copper, Manganese and Fatty Acids. Sugar & Cholesterol Free. Maca Super Root powder provides a nice natural energy boost without the crash or jitters found in caffeine.
- HEALTHY ALTERNATIVE & COUNTLESS USES: Healthworks Maca Powder/Flour is a perfect addition to smoothies/drinks, juices, cereals, yogurt, oatmeal, baked goods, baking cookies, ice-cream, trail mix, granola bars, soups, coffee and snack foods. Raw, Juicing, Vegan, Paleo, Keto, Clean Eating, Wellness, Active, Biohacking, Life Hacking, Yoga, Spiritual, Blending, Non-GMO, Plant Based.
- RICH HISTORY: Revered for many centuries by Inca warriors and a valuable staple in many ancient diets, Healthworks Organic Maca/Macao Powder is a powerful addition to any lifestyle.
- OUR MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE: 100% Money-Back Satisfaction Guarantee, No Questions Asked! We will offer a 30-day money back guarantee on any product you have purchased from HEALTHWORKS directly.
BulkSupplements Maca Root Extract Powder comes in a 4:1 ratio and is offered not only in its powdered form but also includes capsule forms that are vegan-friendly, making it ideal for anyone who is not too keen on the natural taste of maca root. Simple, pure, and frustration-free, this maca powder is perfect for anyone looking to invest in a large stock of maca that will last them for months to come.
One of the largest concerns for this product is that it is manufactured in China. However, the maca root itself comes straight from Peru, making it just as potent as other versions. While this may put a damper on the supplement for anyone looking to reduce their carbon footprint, it does allow them to provide large amounts of maca powder to a wide public. Some people noted that this powder does have a stronger taste than others they have taken, and recommended the capsule versions for anyone looking for the benefits of maca without the aftertaste. However, all of this aside, reviewers raved about the larger sized packaging and health benefits experienced once they added maca powder to their diet and touted BulkSupplements Maca Root Extract Powder for its role in increasing their energy, libido, and mental functions.
- Clean & Pure Powder.
- Factory Sealed Foil Zip Pouch.
- Lab Tested for Verification & Guaranteed Purity.
Black maca powder has been lauded as the strongest form of maca powder, and The Maca Team Raw Black Maca Powder offers you that strength in a non-GMO, certified organic form that’s sure to please. With a consistency similar to powdered cacao, this raw, vegan supplement is best mixed in with breakfast foods each day to help increase your memory function, regulate your mood swings, and improve your libido. Touting itself as the rarest maca, black maca has a stronger, spicier flavor than some other maca roots, similar in nature to earthy cinnamon.
With a commitment to fair trade, sustainable practices, this maca powder is ideal for anyone concerned about their environmental and social impact. Sold in 1-pound bags, it is worth noting that the recommended serving size for raw maca powder is higher than that of gelatinized maca powder, as it is not as concentrated. However, that doesn’t seem to change the effects, as reviewers praised this powder for its libido-boosting powers far above any other one on the market. While it is not as known for helping with memory performance and menopausal concerns as other types of maca, if you’re looking to improve your sexual health, this is a great choice for you.
- Health and Vitality: Studied for increasing sperm count, preventing osteoporosis, boosting memory, growing muscles, endurance and more
- Premium Quality: USDA certified organic black Maca root powder is GMO-free, fair trade, vegan and raw; Never heated above 105 degrees
- The Rarest Maca Color: Made from light to dark gray Maca roots, black Maca accounts for less than 20 percent of the annual harvest; Stronger, spicier flavor
- Packed with Good Stuff: Black Maca contains essential amino acids, fatty acids, vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, and C, iron, magnesium, zinc and calcium and proteins
- Easy to Take: Black Maca powder is easy to integrate into your day-to-day life; Blend it in smoothies and beverages or use it in baked goods
The only reason Gaia Herbs Organic Maca Powder is the last item on our list is because it’s not the best option for people on a raw diet. Sold in its gelatinized form, this maca powder is easier on your digestive system, but may lose a small percentage of its nutritious value due to being exposed to heat for a long period of time. Still, for anyone looking to add a boost of energy to their workout routine, or improve their stamina, this is a great option.
With a USDA-certified organic recipe that is both vegan and gluten-free, this is ideal for people with dietary restrictions who are looking to improve their overall health. As an added bonus, due to the process of gelatinization, this maca powder has a more subdued taste than other maca powders, although reviewers noted it was still a detectable flavor in most smoothies or mixtures. Available in both 8- and 16-ounce packages, this is still a great option for anyone looking for the nutritional and hormonal benefits of maca powder in an easy-to-digest form.
- [PACKAGING MAY VARY] Includes 1 (8 Ounce) Gaia Herbs Gelatinized Maca Powder Supplement - Certified Organic & Vegan
- 45 Day Supply - Suggested Use: Adults take 1 teaspoon daily. Dissolves easily in liquid. Add Maca to your daily breakfast routine — in a juice, smoothie, yogurt, granola, bulletproof coffee or sprinkled on a latte. Consider making it part of your pre or post-workout routine. Also try our Maca Root Capsules, a convenient way of bringing the benefits of Maca into your diet everyday.
- Plant-based fuel to power your active life — a caffeine-free adaptogenic superfood that can help balance hormone levels, boost energy, and support a healthy libido. Our Maca root powder contains the traditional mix of Organic Peruvian red, yellow and black maca root
- Gelatinized to cleanly remove starches, leaving just the beneficial plant parts for a more concentrated, easily digestible Maca root supplement — gram for gram, Gelatinized Maca is more concentrated than raw Maca powder and easier on the tummy for those who have trouble digesting starch
- Gaia Maca is sustainably harvested by our trusted partners in the pristine, high-altitude Peruvian Andes, the native habitat of the Maca plant. We are committed to using only non-GMO ingredients. Our products do not contain gluten, soy, dairy, meat, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, yeast or eggs
Maca Powder Purchase Guide
Maca powder may help balance your hormones, increase your libido, improve your mental functions, and boost your daily energy, but just as with any supplement it all depends on how you use it and if it is right for you. As with any supplement, talk to your healthcare provider before starting it as some supplements work better for different people, or may interact with your medications.
With that being said, here are some tips to help you invest in the best maca powder.
Gelatinized vs. Raw
Gelatinized maca powder has been exposed to low-grade heat in order to reduce its natural starches and condense it into a more concentrated form. Removing the excess starches also makes it easier on your digestive system, meaning you get a higher boost of maca powder from gelatinized doses than you would with the same amount of raw powder.
Raw powder, on the other hand, offers maca root in a more natural state, and is ideal for anyone on a raw food diet who is concerned about over processing. In some cases, burning off the starches can reduce the nutritional content of the maca root, making it less powerful than its raw state. However, raw powder can be difficult on your digestive track, and is known to have a harsher taste than its gelatinized equivalent.
White, Yellow, Red, and Black…Oh My!
The most common maca roots are white or yellow, which refers to their coloration. Red maca root is a rarer form of the root and is said to be more potent, the same can be said for black maca root. However, black maca root and red maca root are known to have more pungent flavors, so if you are not a fan of the maca root taste, stick to the white or yellow varieties. While no real difference has been seen between the different colorations of the roots and their benefits, some people claim that black maca root is more potent.
Questions About Maca Powder
Is Maca Powder Dangerous?
The only real common side effect to maca powder is that it can cause stomach discomfort. While some would consider its natural taste a side effect, for the most part maca powder is safe to use and has no real dangers, unless you are suffering from a thyroid condition. In the case of thyroid problems, do not take maca, as it contains goitrogens, which can interfere with the natural function of the thyroid gland. That being said, anyone who is pregnant or nursing should not take maca powder, and it is always a good idea to consult your doctor before starting any supplement.
What Does Maca Powder Do?
Studies have shown maca powder can increase your libido, heighten sperm count and motility, reduce menopausal symptoms, boost your natural energy levels, and may help balance irregulated moods. It also may boost learning and memory capabilities, and has been said to help reduce the size of the prostate gland in old age. Aside from all these benefits, it is a great source of many vitamins and minerals, as well as essential amino acids.
The Benefits of Maca Root
Here is a great video that goes over some of the benefits of maca root, and how adding maca powder to your diet can improve your overall health.