The Top 7 Collagen Supplements Reviewed
Collagen is a protein found in our bodies. You can find it in muscles, bones, skin, and several other locations too. What you need to know about collagen is it’s like a glue to keep our body together. It even helps to reduce the signs of aging by keeping our skin together. Unfortunately, our body’s natural collagen production diminishes with age, and then it’s time to supplement.
With collagen being such an important substance to help prevent signs of aging and for joints, it’s one you will definitely want to add to your health regime. You have several options to use this potent substance, too, including cream, pills, powder, and even gummies, to make taking it simple and easy to fit into your routine. Added to your diet with the natural sources of collagen should give you an impressive jump in your skin and other body parts.
First, you need to pick the right supplement for you. We found the seven best options after hours of scouring the market to help you out. Stay on after to find out some essential information about collagen supplements and get answers to your questions. Find out what collagen has to offer you to improve your health right now.
If you are in a hurry, our pick for the best collagen supplement is XYZ Smart Collagen.
The Best Collagen Supplements
You don’t have to live with sagging wrinkled skin as you can reduce the effects by boosting collagen. Improve your body’s elasticity, firmness, and even the texture to stay younger looking for longer. How do they do this? With smart active ingredients like South African Bulbine frutesens. This plant sap contains two substances scientifically proven to slow down collagen breakdown and also increase production fo collagen.
Moreover, all of the ingredients are certified organic from sustainable raw materials. Their formula is also vegan friendly and free of artificial ingredients without mineral or palm oils. Even better, the company uses cold-pressing to extract ingredients for the maximum potency of the active compounds.
In as little as 84 days, you can start to look seven and a half years younger. That’s less than three months to a new younger-looking you! To use simply apply the cream twice a day – in the morning and at night – to clean skin. Smooth the lotion over your face and neck in gentle upward strokes to get the maximum absorption. Be careful around your eyes to avoid the lower lids and tear ducts. Finally, make sure to wear sunscreen every morning to help increase the results on your skin.
Ancestral Supplements Grass Fed (Living) Collagen is the best of the capsules to ingest collagen. Their supplement supports joints, bones, cartilage, and connective tissue for better hair, skin, and nails. It’s a bioactive product proven to strengthen and support collagen and connective tissue so it will remodel by supporting cell structure and prevent sagging.
As for ingredients, you get grass-fed cartilage from New Zealand raised bovine. The 3000 mg includes collagen from the trachea, and scapula, along with bioactive growth factors and chondrotin sulfates. The only inactive ingredient is the gelatin capsules themselves. With this supplement, you get glycine, hydroxyproline, and proline. You also get collagen types I, II, and III making it a viable source to help multiple areas of your body.
The company suggests you take six capsules per day, making a bottle a one month supply. Although, you need to gradually build-up to this dosage. As for the cows themselves, they are pasture-raised and fed grass without hormones, pesticides, and GMOs. The company also third party tests their product for optimal quality. If you love this product and want more, check out the many highly-rated products by the same brand.
- Based on the ancient ancestral wisdom that "like supports like." Consuming "living" collagen supports joints, bones, cartilage and connective tissue health related to skin, hair and nails.
- Bioactive growth factors proven to uniquely support and strengthen collagen and connective tissue remodeling. Supports cell structure by providing the fillers (proteoglycans) between the cells to keep cells from sagging.
- Recommended as an integral part of a nose-to-tail keto or carnivore diet by Paul Saladino, MD (author of The Carnivore Code)
- Pairs perfectly w/ Beef Organs & Bone Marrow.
- Start with just 1 capsule a day for the 1st week... 2 capsules a day for the 2nd week... 3 capsules a day for the 3rd week and so on until reaching 6 capsules a day for the 6th week (or) as directed by a healthcare provider.
If you need a smaller price tag, try the Multi Collagen Pills by Dr. Emil Nutrition. Yes, the dosage is smaller as you only get 1735 mg across three pills, but this may work for better, more many people and their wallets! It’s still a high dosage for better absorption. What’s truly wonderful about this particular collagen option is it’s a source of all five types of collagen.
Inside the capsule, you will find hydrolyzed bovine hide collagen peptides, chicken bone broth collagen concentrate, hydrolyzed fish collagen peptides, and eggshell membrane collagen. Furthermore, they add in the ever-popular Bioperine (black pepper extract) to help your body absorb all of the collagen. The only inactive ingredients include gelatin capsules and magnesium stearate. It’s free of GMO’s, hormones, gluten, and dairy.
As is the nature of collagen, this supplement does contain two allergens, including fish and eggs. Otherwise, a serving of three capsules provides collagens types I, II, III, V & X. This provides you the maximum benefits for anti-aging, hair, skin, nails, and bones. It can even help your digestion and gut health. Finally, the product is doctor driven and backed by science to provide you high-quality products from a USA FDA and GMP laboratory.
- ALL-IN-ONE SUPER COLLAGEN BLEND - Our hydrolyzed collagen peptide pills feature a blend of 100% grass-fed bovine, chicken, eggshell and marine collagen sources, including Types I, II, III, V & X.
- HIGH DOSE + BETTER ABSORPTION - Our extra strength collagen capsules are enhanced with BioPerine, a black pepper extract shown to vastly improve absorption, ensuring the most bioavailable Collagen capsules on the market; Get the Collagen intake you need without excess calories or powder mixing.
- ALL 5 TYPES TO LOOK & FEEL YOUR BEST- Our formula includes all 5 types of collagen hydrolysate for maximum benefits, including anti-aging and healthier hair, skin and nails. Also supports stronger joints and bones while aiding in digestion and gut health. Don’t settle for just Types 1 and 3 when you can have all 5 in one easy to take collagen supplement for women and men.
- DOCTOR-DRIVEN, SCIENCE BACKED - Bringing Dr. Emil’s unique knowledge as both a scientist & medical doctor, our blends are painstakingly formulated to provide superior results and are always backed by science - free of gimmicks, fads & false promises.
- ONLY THE RIGHT STUFF - All Dr. Emil products are made from all-natural vitamins, minerals & herbal extracts, without the use of harmful additives; NON-GMO and free of hormones, gluten and dairy. All products are manufactured in the USA in a GMP certified laboratory.
If you don’t like swallowing pills, try the Advanced Hydrolyzed Collagen Peptides by ForestLeaf because it’s an unflavored powder you can add to your coffee. Don’t worry, you can also add the powder to baked goods, cooked foods, or liquid if you don’t drink coffee. Although, coffee lovers will love this easy tasteless addition to their morning to improve joints, bones, skin, and hair. No swallowing even more pills or gagging on nasty powdered drinks!
Moreover, you get a whopping 2 pounds supply to last for 80 servings or days. The powder comes wit ha scoop to help you with the serving size. Do note, the powder can clump in cold liquids, which is why it’s better in coffee. It’s also a premium quality product from hydrolyzed bovine protein from pasture-raised and grass-fed animals. All this from an American NSF, GMP, and FDA approved facility, and they test for absorption.
Inside the powder, you get types I, II, and III collagen proteins with 10 mg per serving. The contents include pure hydrolyzed bovine collagen peptides and hydrolyzed chicken cartilage collagen. That’s it – no additives at all! It’s also naturally a source of an entire amino acid profile containing 18 different amino acids! All without allergens like sugar, gluten, dairy, nuts, soy, fish, eggs, hormones, or GMOs. Start getting all the benefits from an extremely easy to take and long-lasting supplement powder.
- REVITALIZE YOUR BODY: Collagen is important for your overall health and the most abundant protein in your body. But natural production of it in your body diminishes as you age – give your body the boost it needs with our collagen peptides powder for men and women!
- CONTAINS TYPE 1, 2, AND 3: There are 3 essential proteins that are required to keep your body in tiptop shape. Types 1 and 3 work together to bolster skin, muscles, bone health, and hair while Type 2 makes up the fluids and functions to heal joints and cartilage.
- EASY INTAKE: Getting your body restored with the nutrients it needs is as simple as a stir! Simply add a scoop of this unflavored powder into a hot or cold beverage, smoothie, soup or any cooked or baked foods, and mix thoroughly until it fully dissolves.
- ALLERGEN, ADDITIVE & PRESERVATIVE FREE: Our hydrolyzed bovine collagen peptides formula is natural and free of artificial additives, flavors and most allergens, including sugar, gluten, dairy, nuts, soy, fish, egg, and hormones. It is also non GMO and made in the USA.
- TESTED FOR PREMIUM QUALITY: A trusted name in dietary supplements, ForestLeaf tests all of its products for maximum absorption. This hydrolyzed bovine protein is sourced from pasture-raised and grass fed animals. There are 80 servings and 10g of protein per serving.
Another source of all five types of collagen is the Multi Collagen Pills by Caribou Nutrition. The company wants to help you restore your youthfulness while supporting healthy skin, tendons, joints, ligaments, muscles, and a healthier digestive system too. Even better, the price of this option is absolutely fabulous and ready to fit into your budget.
Next, the supplements are made without GMO’s, hormones, gluten, or antibiotics. They do so in a US-based GMP certified facility. If, for some reason, you don’t fall wildly in love with the pills, you can get a full refund or replacement from this high-quality product and brand. To get the full benefit of the supplement, you need to take 3 capsules a day, making the 180 pill bottle last for a full two months, which makes it an even greater value.
The ingredients inside the bottle contain a respectable 2,000 mg of hydrolyzed bovine collagen, hydrolyzed fish collagen, and eggshell membrane collagen from chicken eggs. As for inactive ingredients, you only get the vegetable capsules and rice flour. It does contain both egg and fish but does not contain other allergens like milk, tree nuts, wheat, peanuts, or soy. Start looking and feeling younger and healthier with this rich source of all five types of collagen.
- ALL-IN-ONE MULTI COLLAGEN PROTEIN CAPSULES – Caribou Nutrition provides proprietary collagen peptide pills that are formulated with a unique blend of 100% grass-fed beef, Chicken Bone Broth, Hydrolyzed Collagen Peptides from Wild Fish, and Eggshell, including Types I, II, III, V, & X. Unlike other collagen brands, our Multi Collagen Peptides Capsules contains no hormones or antibiotics.
- BRING YOUTHFULNESS BACK – Is mother nature and father time getting the best of you? Get the support your body needs with our Collagen Peptide Pills that helps rejuvenate skin, improve tendons, joints, ligaments, and muscles and supports a healthier digestive system. Get back the feeling of youthfulness with our Multi Collagen Peptides Pills!
- FEEL THE DIFFERENCE IN QUALITY – Caribou Nutrition is hyper focused on delivering the best quality at a perfect price. Caribou multi collagen pills is a trusted product and brand because all our products are manufactured in the United States, ingredients are 3rd party tested, and our collagen is without antibiotics or hormones, which is unlike other brands in the market. This allows us to provide the highest quality in each of our bottles with a full 2-month supply!
- MAKING YOU A BETTER YOU – Our multi collagen peptides capsules will revolutionize your body giving you support for an active lifestyle you desire. The Collagen Protein capsules will promote a healthier heart, support sleep, improved mood, and supports stress or anxiety. The 5 types of collagen hydrolysate in our Multi Collagen Supplement will bring you back to being the best you!
- BE CONFIDENT IN YOUR PURCHASE: At Caribou Nutrition, we strive daily for excellence in all our products and know that all customers will be satisfied with their results. If any customer is not satisfied with the results of their collagen, then we stand behind our product to either refund of replace the product with a 100% guarantee.
Another fabulous powder option for collagen is the Gut Garden Collagen Peptides Powder. It’s an affordable option ready to help you rebuild your gut lining, improve your body, and help you look better in the process. What you will love is the chocolate mocha flavor and that the supplement has all five types of collagen. As collagen makes up 30 percent of all the proteins in your body needed to keep them together, you might as well make it tasty and easy to take!
The ingredients include pasture-raised hydrolyzed bovine collagen peptides, organic chicken bone broth, organic beef bone broth, hydrolyzed wild-caught fish collagen peptides, and eggshell membrane collagen. For flavor, they added Kona instant coffee, cocoa flavoring, and natural vanilla flavoring. The only allergens in the powder are fish and eggs. Also, you get a massive dose of collagen, more than any other option on the list, of 10,000 mg of collagen!
With this supplement, a single scoop constitutes a serving, and you get a full months supply. The suggested use is one scoop mixed into eight ounces of hot water and drink daily. You can drink it cold for an iced coffee too. All this from a pure and clean GMP certified facility that does third party testing No growth hormones, just grass-fed collagen ready to improve your skin, hair, nails, bones, and ligaments. Get all of the benefits with an amazing flavor!
- MULTI COLLAGEN MOCHA + KONA INSTANT COFFEE: Boost your morning routine and revitalize your afternoons with our delicious Multi Collagen instant coffee mocha! Made with Kona coffee beans, one of the most exclusive coffees in the world, this collagen powder supplement mixes in hot liquids and offers an all-in-one gourmet drink! Simply add one scoop to 8oz for a delicious instant collagen coffee. Try it cold! Mix in a blender with ice for a delicious and gourmet ice coffee treat!
- 5 TYPES COLLAGEN – Codeage hydrolyzed collagen mocha powder provides 5 different types of collagen (type 1, 2, 3, 5 & 10) from 5 different sources. It contains grass-fed beef, free-range chicken bone broth, organic beef bone broth, wild-caught marine collagen and egg shell membrane collagen all at once! This product does not contain any shellfish.
- LOW ACID COFFEE – Kona coffee beans come from Hawaii and are considered to be one the finest and premium tasting coffees in the world. It has also a low acid profile making it an ideal ingredient for a flavorfull collagen coffee drink.
- HIGH IN COLLAGEN, LOW CALORIE - One serving of Codeage multi collagen protein powder Coffee Mocha mix provides 10g of collagen, 3.4g of Fiber and ONLY 1G of SUGAR and 58 calories!
- NATURAL & NON-GMO: our Multi Collagen is natural and non-GMO. The formula is made in the USA in a cGMP certified facility and Third party tested.
Some people don’t like pills or power, and those people will love the Kaya Naturals Collagen Gummies. The extra strength collagen offers an easy and fun way to help improve the effects of aging, your skin, bones, and joints. It might even help to support a healthy skin tone with a few extra ingredients not found in the other options!
With this option, you get 100 percent hydrolyzed collagen types I and III. Even better, they taste delicious with natural strawberry flavor. The gummies, including vitamin C, biotin, selenium, and hydrolyzed collagen. Although the collagen levels are significantly lower than the other options at just 1000 mg, which is still a significant amount.
However, if you are on a keto diet or trying to avoid sugars, this is not the option for you as the inactive ingredients include glucose syrup, sugar, bovine gelatin, modified starch, citric acid, strawberry flavor, malic acid, purple carrot juice, vegetable oil, and sodium citrate. While it doesn’t have any dies, it does contain tree nuts and fish making this a source of possible allergens.
Furthermore, the gummies are third party tested from a GMP facility in the USA. A single bottle of 60 pills provides a one month supply of the supplement if you take two gummies a day. Lastly, you can improve your body and appearance for an extremely reasonable price without adding powders or pills to your daily routine.
- ✔️MAINTAIN SKIN ELASTICITY, JOINT HEALTH & MOBILITY. Collagen is the primary building block of our skin and joints. As we age it diminishes and it becomes more difficult for our bodies to repair and renew, resulting in the common signs of aging. Using Kaya hydrolyzed gummies daily is an excellent way to improve joint mobility and the appearance of hair, skin and nails.
- ✔️DELICIOUS WAY TO GET YOUR COLLAGEN. Enjoy the natural strawberry flavor while you nourish your body with essential collagen peptides.
- ✔️IMPROVES HAIR SKIN & NAILS: Collagen is essential to healthy hair, skin, and nails. Your production decreases as you age. Taking collagen can make your skin appear firm and smooth. It can also impact the appearance of your hair’s fullness and shine. By adding collagen to your diet can also help in reducing the appearance of cellulite and stretch marks.
- ✔️IMPACTS JOINT HEALTH: With age, your collagen production depletes, your joints can become stiff, swollen and painful, even causing a lack of mobility. Collagen contains the amino acids glycine and proline, which help to support joint mobility and a healthy inflammatory response.
Buying Guide for Collagen Supplements
Before buying, take a look at the many factors that can help you make an educated decision on which collagen supplement will benefit you the most. Let’s go over the ingredient, benefits, side effects, and any questions you may have.
Collagen is a complex protein with 19 amino acids, and it’s composed of three chains wound together for super long amino acid strands. Some of these amino acids aren’t often found in western diets because we don’t eat a lot of organ meats or bone broths, although our bodies do produce some on their own. The most prevalent amino acids found in collagen are proline, glycine, glutamine, and arginine.
If you have found a collagen supplement, you probably see types, including 1 to 5, but do you know what the types are?
Type 1 – is the easiest to find and the strongest as it’s made of eosinophilic fibers to help tendons, ligaments, organs, and skin. This type helps to form bones while holding would healing and providing elasticity to the skin.
Type 2 – helps build cartilage, making it necessary for joint health and to prevent age-related joint pain and arthritis.
Type 3 – is made of reticular fibers to help make up our organs and skin and helps to increase elasticity and firmness. You also need this to form blood vessels and tissue within the heart.
Type 4 – this collagen forms basal lamina in endothelial cells around organs, muscles, and fat. It’s necessary for blood vessels and nerve function.
Type 5 – helps make the surface of cells, including hair and tissues in the placenta. Take this one if you are pregnant if approved by your doctor.
Type 10 – helps new bones to form as well as cartilage and bone tissue.
The best sources of collagen come from cows, chicken, and fish bones. You can also get collagen from eggshell membranes, including the shell and the whites of eggs. However, because of the animal sources, collagen is not a vegan or vegetarian supplement.
With collagen supplements, you get a whole host of benefits. For one, it can improve your skin and hair. It reduces cellulite, wrinkles, and stretch marks by improving elasticity. What you get is firmer, smoother skin that’s renewed and repaired. This powerhouse supplement even helps to strengthen your nails, hair, and teeth.
Next, collagen reduces joint pain and degeneration. As we age, our body produces less collagen, which reduces the collagen in tendons and ligaments, which leads to stiffness, swollen joints, and other problems. Taking collagen is like oiling your joints! Furthermore, collagen can help to treat leaky gut syndrome by repairing your gut lining.
Another benefit of collagen is its ability to boost metabolism, muscle mass, and increase energy. It can even improve liver health by detoxing harmful substances from your body and improving blood flow. This leads to protecting your cardiovascular health, making this a true powerhouse supplement that benefits the vast majority of your body!
Side effects of collagen are very rare as your body makes collagen! The only symptoms come from over-dosing or a pre-existing allergy to one of the animals. Many of the pills or powder can have a bad aftertaste that goes away in a few minutes. Otherwise, collagen is usually well-tolerated and considered safe. If you have any allergies, discuss with your doctor before taking a collagen supplement.
Questions About Collagen Supplements
Can collagen help me lose weight?
Collagen can help you lose weight as it can make you feel fuller because it’s a protein that can make you feel fuller and suppress your appetite. Moreover, collagen may help you to retain muscle mass. Both of these effects can help you to drop a few pounds while also improving your skin and other body parts. However, this is not a magic weight loss supplement but can help to be a healthy part of your weight loss routine.
How long does it take to notice a difference from collagen?
The results from collagen will not show up immediately. You may see early results in satiety, and as an appetite suppressant, but as for hair growth or tendon strengthening, it may take up to four months to see results. Although, you can start results as early as four weeks. Results vary by person as no two people are the same or have the same needs. Be patient and wait because the results just might sneak up on you!
What can damage collagen that I should avoid?
You aren’t going to like this, but the two most damaging things to your body’s collage are sugar and refined carbs. Man! Why is the whole world telling you to reduce carbs and sugar? Because they are bad for you and damage many parts of your body. Also, not getting enough sunshine can reduce collagen production as can smoking. Try to get at least 20 minutes of sunlight a day to boost productivity and increase vitamin D. Smoking is never good for anyone and should be avoided at all costs.
The easiest form of collagen is in the XYX Smart Collagen, as you simply need to apply it to your face and start seeing improvement in your skin in as little as three months. Pair the face cream with Ancestral Supplements Grass Fed (Living) Collagen (B07GL62CTS) to take full advantage of all of the wonderful benefits for your body internally. With this powerful combo, you can start to look and feel better for a longer, healthier life for your skin and bones plus so much more.
For more information on collagen supplements, watch this video by Dr. Dray: